Pulling conductors outside/suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nizak

Looking to try and pull some 2/0thhn conductors thru U/G PVC. All pulling will be done outside, pipe has been in place for a month and has just gone thru a week of sub zero temps.My concern is not with the buried portion but with potential brittleness of the risers and LB fittings that have been exposed. Wire is not on reels and will have to be "run out" through the snow. Am I looking at creating a big mess in attempting this now? Is there a minimum sustained temp that should be achieved before this type of work is attempted?

Smart $

Esteemed Member
... Is there a minimum sustained temp that should be achieved before this type of work is attempted?
70?F and sunny... :D

On the serious side... recommendations will vary. Southwire's installation guide says 14?F for PVC insulation (THHN insulation is in part, PVC). It also says to keep wire in warm storage 24 hours prior to installation... and I'm thinking all rigging for the pull should be ready to go before relocating the wire, complete rigging and pull immediately.

FWIW, PVC conduit is made of a rigid type of PVC, and thus more brittle at lower temperatures than the more flexible PVC used for insulation... but the amount of stress applied to less-than-adequately-supported conduit will be the determining factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.