Neutral panel location

Status
Not open for further replies.

nizak

Do grounded and un grounded conductors of the same circuit have to terminate in the same panel? Reason I'm asking is I need to transfer some circuitry from one panel to another that is connected via a short nipple.None are MWBC's all individual NM runs.Neutrals are obviousley short, and are buried behind the main feeds making them difficult to do anything with. Both panels are fed from the same main service. Thanks.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Yes, 300.3(B)

I don't think 300.3(B) applies to the OP.
I do think the OP poses an interesting question and I have had this come up in the field and I would love to know the answer. Clearly Art. 210.4(A) would apply if these were MWB circuits. But the OP indicates these are not MWB circuits, so 210.4(A) does not fit. It seems to me that the neutral of any branch circuit has to originate from the same panel as the ungrounded conductor but I don't know where this is spelled out. Or is it just implied?
What say all the gurus?

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I don't think 300.3(B) applies to the OP.
I do think the OP poses an interesting question and I have had this come up in the field and I would love to know the answer. Clearly Art. 210.4(A) would apply if these were MWB circuits. But the OP indicates these are not MWB circuits, so 210.4(A) does not fit. It seems to me that the neutral of any branch circuit has to originate from the same panel as the ungrounded conductor but I don't know where this is spelled out. Or is it just implied?
What say all the gurus?
Implied. If all conductors of the same circuit must be contained in the same raceway, etc., how can you have a neutral originate in one panel and a hot originate in another...???

(Exlcuding like switching or relay application regarding the hot conductor.)

Last edited:

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
It would be almost impossible to have the hot and neutral come out of separate panels and not violate 300.3(B). Perhaps it could be done with non-ferrous wiring methods.

Yes, I would agree. But why have 210.4(A) for MWB circuits if this is already implied? Why is it not spelled out that all conductors of the same circuit must originate at the same panel regardless if they are MWB or not?

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Do grounded and un grounded conductors of the same circuit have to terminate in the same panel? Reason I'm asking is I need to transfer some circuitry from one panel to another that is connected via a short nipple.None are MWBC's all individual NM runs.Neutrals are obviousley short, and are buried behind the main feeds making them difficult to do anything with. Both panels are fed from the same main service. Thanks.

Not sure that I understand but can you use wire nuts or junction boxes to make this work?

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Yes, I would agree. But why have 210.4(A) for MWB circuits if this is already implied? Why is it not spelled out that all conductors of the same circuit must originate at the same panel regardless if they are MWB or not?
My guess would be, someone(s) felt the need to emphasize or otherwise make it known explicitly for MWBC.

How that for stating the obvious... :p

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.