REC 2X4 FIXTURE

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstrlucky74

When installing a 2x4 in an acoustical ceiling do you need other material to install it(clips etc.) or just what the fixture comes with? Curious

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
410.36(B) Suspended Ceilings. Framing members of suspended ceiling systems used to support luminaires shall be securely fastened to each other and shall be securely attached to the building structure at appropriate intervals. Luminaires shall be securely fastened to the ceiling framing member by mechanical means such as bolts, screws, or rivets. Listed clips identified for use with the type of ceiling framing member(s) and luminaire(s) shall also be permitted.
Some fixtures have "fold out" clips that will secure the fixture to the grid.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I would buy the fixture with the clips already installed or as an integral part of the fixture.

growler

When installing a 2x4 in an acoustical ceiling do you need other material to install it(clips etc.) or just what the fixture comes with? Curious

I would buy the fixture with the clips already installed or as an integral part of the fixture.

You may have to provide tie wire to secure the fixture. You can't use the grid wire so usless the GC is willing to provide the tie wire you will have it to install.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
You may have to provide tie wire to secure the fixture. You can't use the grid wire so usless the GC is willing to provide the tie wire you will have it to install.

That would depend on the jurisdiction. In some places such as NYC only attachment to the grid is required.

stevebea

Instead of using " hurricane clips " I will often screw the troffers to the grid as long as the grid is rated to carry the weight of the troffer.

Make sure you check the specs for the job. They may require you to support the luminaire by means of ceiling wire (not attached to the grid of course).

If it is needed, tell your Supervisor to buy the ceiling guy a 30 pack to shoot some extra shots over the fixtures. Its a heck of a lot better than having to buy the wire and have one of your workers have to put it up.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
It also says in the standards that it shall be "positively attached". I do what I call the "broom stick test", meaning I'll push on the fixture (not hard, but hard enough) and if it lifts out of the grid, then the clips aren't enough. Most of the supplied clips are pretty worthless and most guys don't know how to install them correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.