Surge Supressors....

Status
Not open for further replies.

ATSman

ATSman
Occupation
Electrical Engineer/ Electrical Testing & Controls
If EGS means Electrical Grounding System then I would say yes, but not very well. Even though the voltage transient will be clipped(reduced), the energy will not be dissipated without a ground reference.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I would give a different answer:
Voltage transients between line conductors (including neutral if present) will be both clipped and have energy absorbed. But common mode transients to ground will not be either tripped or absorbed.
This means that equipment which can be damaged by voltage to ground will not be as well protected as it would be with an EGC present.
If the equipment itself has a ground which is connected to the suppressor, but no EGC back to an external reference, the suppressor will work just fine.
The issues with respect to noise filtering may be different than the issues of damaging transients.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
There is a difference in construction between panel mounted suppressors and the ones found in power strips and other plug connected 120 V devices.

xformer

Occupation
Master Electrician
There is a difference in construction between panel mounted suppressors and the ones found in power strips and other plug connected 120 V devices.

So, a Surge suppressor connected to an outlet that has no GEC will function properly to protect equipment.?.?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
So, a Surge suppressor connected to an outlet that has no GEC will function properly to protect equipment.?.?

the surge suppressor itself will function just fine.

but maybe instead of GEC you meant EGC?

Surge suppressors of this type are designed to deal with L-N, L-G, and N-G transients. If there is no EGC two of the three types of transients are not suppressed. Given that the N is connected to G back at the service point, that might not be all that big of a deal.

The GEC plays no role in this type of SPD other than to keep the electrical system voltage stable WRT to earth, which is all it does anyway.

Last edited:

xformer

Occupation
Master Electrician
the surge suppressor itself will function just fine.

but maybe instead of GEC you meant EGC?

Surge suppressors of this type are designed to deal with L-N, L-G, and N-G transients. If there is no EGC two of the three types of transients are not suppressed. Given that the N is connected to G back at the service point, that might not be all that big of a deal.

The GEC plays no role in this type of SPD other than to keep the electrical system voltage stable WRT to earth, which is all it does anyway.

Yes... I ment EGC... Thank you.

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer

Wouldn't the surge suppressor still clamp L-G and N-G transients downstream of the suppressor? There has to be an EGC in that part of the suppressor box (e.g. a power strip) and the MOVs (or whatever is doing the clamping) are just connected between these lines in the suppressor/strip. Not having an upstream EGC should not affect much. If there was an upstream EGC, then this surge strip could in theory clamp other circuits up the branch circuit.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
I took the reference to mean neither an upstream nor downstream EGC.
I the SPD is connected to a downstream wire which is connected to loads as if it were an EGC, but is not bonded, then any leakage current in the protective devices will form a voltage divider which brings that wire to a voltage halfway between line and neutral.

Last edited:

brycenesbitt

Eaton?s guide to surge suppression

Eaton?s guide to surge suppression

Note: Eaton publishes a rather comprehensive guide on this topic, publication SA01005003E / Z8383
"Eaton?s guide to surge suppression". It talks quite a bit about phases and theory, and also tries to
debunk some of the specmanship that results in higher specification numbers without greater protection.

Note also that even without direct contact the magnetic portion of a lightning pulse can and does introduce
a voltage spike into any metal object, especially long wires. Placing a wimpy surge device near the point of
use makes sense even if an industrial quality unit is at the service entrance.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Will a surge suppressor function without an EGC?

It would seem to me the larger question would be can it work on an ungrounded system. For example, a type 1 device can be applied to the line side of a service where there is no EGC. I haven't done the research, but I think they all have to be used on a grounded system.

dereckbc

Staff member
Even though the voltage transient will be clipped(reduced), the energy will not be dissipated without a ground reference.
That is incorrect. Unless your home is struck by lightning or high voltage lines falls on your service latteral, earth or ground has nothing to do with TVSS. Otherwise all surges coming in from utility are in Differential mode, not Common mode..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.