Use of the word Emergency in Article 517

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshields

Now that the Life Safety and Critical branches are no longer considered to be part of the Emergency system, I assume that this has at least two significant implications:

1. That paragraph 700.27 essentially requiring coordination to .01 no longer applies.
2. That feeders associated with these two, now subsets of the Essential Electrical System, do not need to be 2 hour rated. i.e. bad news for our Pyrotenacs sales guy.

Thanks,

Mike

Last edited:

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Now that the Life Safety and Critical branches are no longer considered to be part of the Emergency system, I assume that this has at least two significant implications:

1. That paragraph 700.27 essentially requiring coordination to .01 no longer applies.
2. That feeders associated with these two, now subsets of the Essential Electrical System, do not need to be 2 hour rated. i.e. bad news for our Pyrotenacs sales guy.

Thanks,

Mike
That is correct. This is part of a fight between the technical committees for NFPA 70 and NFPA 99. A task group made up of members from the technical committees from both documents has been appointed to work this out. A big part of this is the new NEC definition of "selective coordination".

mshields

new definition

new definition

I just read the new definition. Doesn't that just clarify that which has already been the most prevalent interpretation for some time, namely that 700, 701 and 708 and elevators when more than one, need to be coordinated to 0.01 seconds?

Thanks,

Mike

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I just read the new definition. Doesn't that just clarify that which has already been the most prevalent interpretation for some time, namely that 700, 701 and 708 and elevators when more than one, need to be coordinated to 0.01 seconds?

Thanks,

Mike
I think that many were using 0.1 seconds, but no matter what, the intent of the definition is to time zero.

BostonEE

Thanks,

Mike

Is it true that Life Safety and Critical branches are no longer considered to be part of the Emergency System?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Is it true that Life Safety and Critical branches are no longer considered to be part of the Emergency System?
My original post is not correct. The Life Safety Branch is still covered by the rules in Article 700.
2011 NEC 517.26 Application of Other Articles. The essential electrical system shall meet the requirements of Article 700,
except as amended by Article 517.
2014 NEC 517.26 Application of Other Articles The life safety branch of the essential electrical system shall meet the requirements of Article 700, except as amended by Article 517.

Status
Not open for further replies.