accessible receptacles

Status
Not open for further replies.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Isn't this the case with most bath exhaust fans too?

Roger

Would a receptacle be allowed behind a gas fireplace? You can't get to it without taking a panel off the unit.
Code ref. please.

I'm curious, why do you think it wouldn't be allowed?

The homeowner couldn't get to it, if, by chance it fell out or something else happened to it.

That "thinking" would prohibit many receptacles (I would think).

-120v receptacle behind gas stove, in cabinet for micro, behind fridge, in attic with pull-down stairs or scuttle hole, etc.

Going to an extreme.....how about those pesky in-use covers...:slaphead:

Hmmmm. this just made me wonder about GFCI receptacle accessibility in attics with scuttle holes or pull down steps....since we can no longer put gfci directly in garage ceilings or behind a hydro massage tub panel.

kwired

Electron manager
That "thinking" would prohibit many receptacles (I would think).

-120v receptacle behind gas stove, in cabinet for micro, behind fridge, in attic with pull-down stairs or scuttle hole, etc.

Going to an extreme.....how about those pesky in-use covers...:slaphead:

Hmmmm. this just made me wonder about GFCI receptacle accessibility in attics with scuttle holes or pull down steps....since we can no longer put gfci directly in garage ceilings or behind a hydro massage tub panel.
In general you shouldn't need a GFCI in an attic. Now if you put a GFCI in the attic and use the feed thru feature to protect something not in the attic, I think you have a violation of the readily accessible rules, but if just a single receptacle in the attic and is readily accessible at the receptacle location I don't think there is a problem or that there is even a violation of the intent of the rules though the wording could maybe use some tweaking.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
In general you shouldn't need a GFCI in an attic. Now if you put a GFCI in the attic and use the feed thru feature to protect something not in the attic, I think you have a violation of the readily accessible rules, but if just a single receptacle in the attic and is readily accessible at the receptacle location I don't think there is a problem or that there is even a violation of the intent of the rules though the wording could maybe use some tweaking.

Hmmmmm, another " I think the code requires ground fault protection at HVAC equipment installed in attics....."

kwired

Electron manager
Hmmmmm, another " I think the code requires ground fault protection at HVAC equipment installed in attics.....)

Not sure how to take what you said. Is a receptacle required at the HVAC equipment? Probably, depends on exactly what the equipment is. Does it require GFCI? See 210.8, and decide if your conditions match any of the requirements. Most of the time it probably does not require GFCI in an attic, a crawlspace at or below grade though almost always will require GFCI.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
Not sure how to take what you said. Is a receptacle required at the HVAC equipment? Probably, depends on exactly what the equipment is. Does it require GFCI? See 210.8, and decide if your conditions match any of the requirements. Most of the time it probably does not require GFCI in an attic, a crawlspace at or below grade though almost always will require GFCI.

Meant it as one of those things that I assume the code requires a GFI receptacle at the HVAC equipment in the attic when it really does not.
It just requires a receptacle there or within 25 feet of unit.

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
Meant it as one of those things that I assume the code requires a GFI receptacle at the HVAC equipment in the attic when it really does not.
It just requires a receptacle there or within 25 feet of unit.

Correct, many assume GFCI because a majority of the time it is required, but the requirement for needing the receptacle is in 210 part III, and the GFCI requirement, if it is required, is in 210.8.

The GFCI requirement has little to do with the fact it is a required outlet for the servicing of HVAC equipment and more to do with conditions present at the receptacle location. If you are in an attic with wood framing and are pretty well insulated from grounded objects the risk of shock/electrocution is not as high as it is in an on or below grade space with concrete floor in direct contact with earth.

Status
Not open for further replies.