2008 AFCI clarification

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparky601

Looking for a clarification of the term "outlet" as used with AFCI circuits. My impression from AHJ was all openings, whether lighting or receptacle was to be placed on this form of breaker. Was informed from nonlocal electrician only receptacles, not lighting were required to have this protection. Art 210.12(B) states outlets in the general living spaces are to be protected. "Outlets" being a generic statement leads me to believe both lighting and cord and plug receptacles.

Interpretations and resources would be appreciated.

Thanks.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Looking for a clarification of the term "outlet" as used with AFCI circuits. My impression from AHJ was all openings, whether lighting or receptacle was to be placed on this form of breaker. Was informed from nonlocal electrician only receptacles, not lighting were required to have this protection. Art 210.12(B) states outlets in the general living spaces are to be protected. "Outlets" being a generic statement leads me to believe both lighting and cord and plug receptacles.

Interpretations and resources would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Here is a pic to show the "nonlocal" guys. :lol:

RECPOUTLET.JPG

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
since I can not help myself, I will point out the first picture is not actually an outlet. It is a nail on box. It will qualify as an outlet once wiring is installed into it:thumbsup:

Love it.:D

Outlet. A point on the wiring system at which current is
taken to supply utilization equipment.

So you "point"ed out that it is not a 'point' YET.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Actually it is a point, but not one on the wiring system.
If the wires are in it but the other ends not connected yet, it is still not on the wiring system. :)

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Love it.:D

Outlet. A point on the wiring system at which current is
taken to supply utilization equipment.

So you "point"ed out that it is not a 'point' YET.

i guess if someone wanted to be technical about it there actually are no "Outlets" in a wiring system until a Load is turned on because until then, no current is "Taken" its just static Voltage. Now there's an arguement we might use not to have to install Arc Fault Devices. :) and just leave that portion up to the end user.:p

Status
Not open for further replies.