Tap rule on light fixtures

Status
Not open for further replies.

reinkdl1

Can the tap rule be used when running wire from the switch to a known load light fixture? For example if the circuit is 20 amps, can you run 15 gage wire from the switch to a fixture with a known maximum wattage?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The wire from the switch to the light is not a tap of the fixture wire it is part of the branch circuit. Thus a 20 amp wire must be used on a 20 amp circuit

kwired

Electron manager
Branch circuit taps supplying luminaires

Branch circuit taps supplying luminaires

Start by looking in 240.21 for overcurrent device location and you get into tap conductor requirements. 240.21(A) sends you to 210.19 and 210.20 for additional requirements for tap conductors on branch circuits.

210.19(A)(4) exception 1(b) sends you to 410.117 for taps supplying luminaires.

410.117(C):
(C) Tap Conductors. Tap conductors of a type suitable for the temperature encountered shall be permitted to run from the luminaire terminal connection to an outlet box placed at least 300 mm (1 ft) from the luminaire. Such tap conductors shall be in suitable raceway or Type AC or MC cable of at least 450 mm (18 in.) but not more than 1.8 m (6 ft) in length.

Unless you put the switch in a box that is between 18 inches and 6 feet of whip away from the luminaire it can not be done as proposed by the OP.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Start by looking in 240.21 for overcurrent device location and you get into tap conductor requirements. 240.21(A) sends you to 210.19 and 210.20 for additional requirements for tap conductors on branch circuits.

210.19(A)(4) exception 1(b) sends you to 410.117 for taps supplying luminaires.

410.117(C):

Unless you put the switch in a box that is between 18 inches and 6 feet of whip away from the luminaire it can not be done as proposed by the OP.

I don't believe you can install a switch with smaller conductors even if it is between 18" & 6'

kwired

Electron manager
I don't believe you can install a switch with smaller conductors even if it is between 18" & 6'

If you had a room full of troffers dropped with typical 6 foot whips what code would prevent you from putting a 4x4 cover with a toggle switch in it at each luminaire drop? May not be all that practical or desired but is not a NEC violation.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I got you-- I was thinking something else... If it were not part of the fixture make up I think you could not use 16 or 18 gauge wire in the same setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.