Recessed light question

Status
Not open for further replies.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
A guy I know bought some of these to put up in his house. He had torn the ceiling off and was intending to use these for what really amounts to 'new construction' as the ceiling was stripped.

View attachment 9610

My first thought was 'how is one supposed to mount the j-box?' Well, according to design, all that holds the box is that flimsy little arm attached to the light, which is held into the drywall by the clips you see on the light shroud.

I asked to look at the instructions and found that the box is meant to come out of the hole with the light in order to gain access to the connections in it. Yeah, right. The arm holding the box wasn't much stronger than a piece of 12 AWG NMB. If it survived being pulled out for access, how fun is that going to be if the NMS is secured properly?

So I looked at the instructions again, and they stated that the j-box on the light must be connected using a flexible cable. The light I actually saw was nearly, but not quite identical to the one above, so just for fun I checked the instructions on line for the one in the picture. It says you need to leave at least 18 extra inches of cable to be, I guess, coiled up and stuffed into the ceiling so it would be long enough to get the box out to work on.

So, here are some questions.

1) If I look up 'flexible cable' in the NEC, it directs me to 'flexible cords' and I was of the understanding that such cords were not allowed to be concealed. Am I correct?

2) The 'electrician' at Menards told the guy the 'flexible cable' meant 'Romex'. No way will you be able to get the fixture out if secured within 12" of the box. There is an allowance of up to 4 1/2 feet for 'accessible ceilings'. Is a drywalled ceiling considered to be an accessible ceiling because there is a hole in it?

I told this stuff to my acquaintance and he called Menards and had me talk to their 'electrician'. He assured me everything was kosher and they 'use them all the time'. Finally, after I started asking specific questions about the codes, he told me they did have a version of the same light that used spreader bars and told me he would exchange them for the guy.

So, are my concerns valid? If the light in the pic's j-box is allowed to be installed with no support to the premises and extra 'permanent' wiring stuffed back into the ceiling is required to access the box, a box which is supported by a light just clipped into drywall, that really does illustrate that following the NEC to the letter will result in the worst installation allowed by law.

I also saw a stick-on floor heater at his place and read the instructions. Yikes! But that's enough for an entirely different thread, if he decides to put it in once he realizes what needs to be done and how bad of a day it would be when the unit failed.

Last edited:

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
you are allowed 4 1/2 ft. of unsupported cable from the last cable support to the fixture 334.30 (B)

But, in this case, the connection is not to the luminaire. It's to a junction box that is supported by, but not part of, the luminaire. The connection to the luminaire made (in the pic) through a short piece of flex.

In case the pic didn't show up the first time, I will try again.

View attachment 9611

Also the section specifies the box be within an 'accessible ceiling'. It does not say the BOX or the DEVICE has to be accessible. It does not say the space above the ceiling must be accessible. It says the ceiling does. That means, as I read it, the ceiling must be able to be removed without damaging structure or finish, as in a dropped ceiling where the panels come out without finish damage.

This was not going in such a ceiling, and the ceiling it was going into would be permanent, so I don't feel (B) applies.

That's just how I read it, anyway.

cadpoint

I really don't know what all the bother is!

I used two of these over my book cases on a dimmer, they look and work great. I used the silver trim with silver internal (globe?).

Those metal clips really lock it into the sheet rock and yes the arm is just floating. If a home inspector nails me or others, I won't be around to fix it!

These are not IC rated, so I just boxed out the frame space. I didn't wire them from below, but I did have the power at the switch, so at most there was only two circuits at each box. It was in the eave's of the house so running a complete circuit wasn't a problem either. Slam me I ran it w/ 12/2. I just nailed to the closet framing member and went on.

Your friend bought a 4" remodel style recessed can. I have installed hundreds of them over the years. Cables are generally fished to and from these luminaires and not secured. The principal is the same as any other time a cable is fished in an unopened wall or ceiling.

Your friend needed to buy the new construction style since the ceiling was opened up.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
I had to install about twenty of these in a basement one time because the homeowner wanted them al to be 'perfectly' in line and installing new work cans around plumbing, heating etc. was impossible. So I secured with staple and stubbed the wires out.

Was I always within 12" after connecting the NM? Not always. The inspector thought the 'intent' was met.

Any different than a surface mount fluorescent?

334.30 Securing and Supporting. Nonmetallic-sheathed
cable shall be supported and secured by staples, cable ties,
straps, hangers, or similar fittings designed and installed so
as not to damage the cable, at intervals not exceeding 1.4 m
(41?2 ft) and within 300 mm (12 in.) of every outlet box,
junction box, cabinet, or fitting. Flat cables shall not be
stapled on edge.

I used both new and old work on this one. Maybe 35 + cans. Been a while

mwm1752

the use of a remodel recess will make the j box accessible which is reqiured by code -- UL approved & listed for the purpose -- generally do not see them in new construction & with the energy codes cannot be installed in a roof assembley ( unless the are IC & airtite rated)

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
the use of a remodel recess will make the j box accessible which is reqiured by code -- UL approved & listed for the purpose -- generally do not see them in new construction & with the energy codes cannot be installed in a roof assembley ( unless the are IC & airtite rated)

What j-box?

mwm1752

Mike, I see ko openings so that the romex can enter & junction to the fixture wires -- by code it is defined as an eletrical outlet

Outlet.
A point on the wiring system at which current is

taken to supply utilization equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.