PHASE MARKING FOR UNGROUNDED CONDUCTORS

Status
Not open for further replies.
TO MY UNDERSTANDING, THE NEC CODE ALLOWS THE USE OF COLORED TAPE AS AN APPROVED METHOD TO IDENTIFY THE PHASES IN UNGROUNDED CONDUCTORS. MY QUESTION PERTAINS TO ANY RESTRICTIONS ON THE GAUGE SIZE OF THE UNGROUNDED CONDUCTORS ( LIKE IN GROUNDING ARTICLE / GAUGE SIZES #6 AND SMALLER MUST BE OF CONTINUOUS OUTER GREEN COLOR) i HAVE SEARCHED AND COULD ONLY FIND THAT TAPE MARKING IS APPROVED METHOD AND DOES NOT LIMIT GAUGE SIZE LIKE THE GROUNDING ARTICLE

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
there is no general requirement to mark the phase conductors any special color at all.

as long as they are not white (gray) or green, they can be any color you want them to be.

the exception is mid-point grounded delta where the high leg has to be marked with the color orange.

Thanks Bob,
IDK.. where i got the notion that small gauge wires #6 and lower should be a solid color insulation
i think it is best practice to use different colored insulation on projects that i QC.. i work in the Solar field and one of the inverter manufactures Aurora / POWER ONE is an ungrounded /transformerless Inverter, While dealer spec clarifys Black for - and Red for + for this specific inverter wiring.. i observe mistakes in just the process of a swatch of tape to establish the string sets (+).. I will air on the side of safety and require full colored insulation on string sets too prevent a potential big problem in terminations reguardless what the NEC stipulates on an approved method of tape. Even if this may sound smug.. I really believe this will reduce the possibility of mis-wiring DC terminations.
Thank you for your input.. it's clear why i couldn't find it in the NEC.. must of been the grounding rule that i mentally included small ungrounded conductors
Best,
Paul

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
there is no reason not to come up with some practice one might use to identify phase conductors. it might even be a good idea.

it is just not required by code (other than as I noted).

Status
Not open for further replies.