need facts!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tibzy

I was wondering if anyone knows the requirements regarding maintenance personnel doing basic electrical work? By basic I mean installing switches, receptacles, ballasts etc.
I'm asking because it has just been brought to my attention that the gentlemen I work with and have worked at this facility are no longer competent to install such devices.
I am a licensed electrician in multiple states and I understand some states have certain bylaws and amendments to perform electrical work.
What was told to me was, "there has to be two licensed electricians on the premises to do electrical work".
I thought it was a one to one ratio, one Journeyman electrician and one apprentice unless master electrician then its a different situation.
I'm actually asking this question on behalf of my fellow colleagues, that because of their age and a new supervisor who feels they are inadequate and should be thrown to the side.
I on the other hand respect them and know they have knowledge that is still useful. Apologize for the rant, just getting sick of companies forcing older guys out before they can properly retire.If an
Some just need some insight on the correct way of doing things. Question being does a general maintenance man need a license to perform electrical work and is there such an article stating requirements of two licensed electricians to perform electrical work? If so I'll be fixing a lot of lights and outlets. This is in NY, Thanks for any help.

Tibzy

This is NE. Anyone can do repair work for an employer if it is within their scope of employment, or job. No license needed. No inspection required.

Thank you for your response, do you have any idea where I can acquire something in writing regarding this topic? I want to help these guys and the new supervisor will want some documentation. If you could point me in the right direction it would be well appreciated.
The general maintenance guys always ask me if they are not sure on certain applications and I've implemented loto procedures to ensure everyone's safety.
Thank you again.

__dan

You would need to make an inquiry to the State Electrical Supervisory Board or licensing agency, DCP, for your state. Every state will vary and there are variations based on particulars.

I can give you my understanding of Ct. If the employees are directly employed by the owner of the property (company they work for owns the property) and in regular building maintenance jobs, no license is necessary for electrical repair, installation, and no license required on the permit. They would be exempt people. If the employees are not direct employees of the property owner, they are contractors and will have to follow all the legal requirements for business conduct as an electrical contractor in that state (licensed or registered apprentices only are allowed to do electrical work).

If someone's job or career depends on the answer, I would go to the state electrical board or licensing agency for the requirements that are necessary to follow.

There is no distinction made between basic electrical work and scary huge. It is all electrical work.

growler

a new supervisor who feels they are inadequate and should be thrown to the side.

Fact is that if he's your boss he is in a better position to decide who stays and who goes than you are. It sucks but that's how it works.

What you want to know is if there are laws that would require a person to be licensed to do basic electrical work. The NEC only requires that a person be qualified. An employeer can require whatever they think is needed for an employee to be qualified. Some school systems want their guys to be licensed. Hospitals and health care facilities can have higher requirements.

Can they just kick you ( others) out of your job because they think you are no longer qualified? Check with the labor board, a maintenance person is hired to do more than electrical work.

growler

If someone's job or career depends on the answer, I would go to the state electrical board or licensing agency for the requirements that are necessary to follow.

I don't think you will find a state board in New York because the license requirements are local.

I don't think it would make all that much difference. An employeer can decide what are the necessary qualifications to hold a certain job with their company. A friend of mine had to get a license to keep his job with the school systems in a certain county, the state wouldn't require it but that county did. Most hospitals will require a license to do electrical work on their property even as an employee.

Can you tell a person they are no longer qualified and just boot them out? In Georgia you probably can but in New York I'm not sure.

Canton

Occupation
Electrician
I was wondering if anyone knows the requirements regarding maintenance personnel doing basic electrical work? By basic I mean installing switches, receptacles, ballasts etc.
I'm asking because it has just been brought to my attention that the gentlemen I work with and have worked at this facility are no longer competent to install such devices.
I am a licensed electrician in multiple states and I understand some states have certain bylaws and amendments to perform electrical work.
What was told to me was, "there has to be two licensed electricians on the premises to do electrical work".
I thought it was a one to one ratio, one Journeyman electrician and one apprentice unless master electrician then its a different situation.
I'm actually asking this question on behalf of my fellow colleagues, that because of their age and a new supervisor who feels they are inadequate and should be thrown to the side.
I on the other hand respect them and know they have knowledge that is still useful. Apologize for the rant, just getting sick of companies forcing older guys out before they can properly retire.If an
Some just need some insight on the correct way of doing things. Question being does a general maintenance man need a license to perform electrical work and is there such an article stating requirements of two licensed electricians to perform electrical work? If so I'll be fixing a lot of lights and outlets. This is in NY, Thanks for any help.

Most jurisdictions would not consider repair work to have to be done by licensed electricians. The rule of thumb usually is if a permit is required for the work to be done then a licensed electrician/contractor would have to repair the work. Changing a ballast, receptacle, switches, etc., minor repair work would not fall under the requirement for a licensed electrician. Repairing/changing a 400 amp disconnect/pulling new feeders etc. would require a licensed electrician.

Most commercial buildings that have maintenance personnel are authorized to do that type of minor electrical (and plumbing/HVAC/Carpentry) repair in their own buildings. A quick call to your County/City AHJ can answer this question quickly for you.

cadpoint

As you can see, it's to say, not aclear situation!

Let's go to the Book references,

NEC 70E?: Standard for Electrical Safety in the Workplace?, 2012 Edition

NEC70B: Recommended Practice for Electrical Equipment Maintenance, 2013Edition

NEC 79: Electrical Standard for Industrial Machinery, 2012 Edition

All listed at NFPA web site Here

What I conclude is that with formal training there is a greater grasp of what over all is required when dealing with real electrical work.

Article 110 is a good summary. I want to say it encompassing, and overall structured to what may be required and cause consideration when dealing with any electrical application.
But again it's not all there, there are three others books under NEC 70!

I've never read any other book by the NEC other than seventy, but that doesn't mean that I might not have to one day!

It seems your boss is keeping and adopting both Article 110 and the Informative Annex H
and some of each of the books I mentioned above!

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~

with regard to the older employees, the question of their competency is a nonissue.
it seems they have a lengthy period of time successfully performing these duties.

as for two licensed electricians being required, in days of yore, you had to have two
journeymen present to do hot work. NFPA 70E obviated the need for that.

and, it is the employers right to assign work as they choose... they own the business.

now, if the employees are either terminated, have their pay reduced, or hours cut,
in a discriminatory fashion based on age, there is grounds for a labor lawsuit, with
a high chance of success. until there has been actual financial harm done, their
is nothing the employee has anything to complain, or sue, about.

if the employer is getting ready to cut people, the employer should take pains to
document the reasons for termination, or he will most certainly loose any lawsuit.

if two or three employees older than say, 45 get dumped, in a short span of time,
expect the lawsuit to be a slam dunk.

being a right to work state doesn't change federal discrimination laws in the workplace.

this comes from my spouse who is director of compensation for a fortune 500.

growler

it has just been brought to my attention that the gentlemen I work with and have worked at this facility are no longer competent to install such devices.

The general maintenance guys always ask me if they are not sure on certain applications and I've implemented loto procedures to ensure everyone's safety.

Something to think about. At present it would sound as if there is only one "qualified" person on this maintenance staff.

If the general maintenannce guys need to ask when they are not sure then they may need some guidance. Most electrical work isn't changing switches, receptacles and ballast but trouble-shooting to find the cause of electrical problems.

What happens when the one "qualified" person has to take a day off or goes on vacation?

Is it really such a bad idea to have more than one qualified electrician on the job?

mwm1752

This question is answered in our state statues under professions-electricians- exemptions. Our ratio is 1 license for 3 apprentices within the contracting- some facilities that have their own maintence are exempt from inspections and the state statues so no license is required

Status
Not open for further replies.