Using breakers on same panel from different brands.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fliz

Siemens breakers aren't listed for use in Eaton panels, or Square D homeline. I know that. I also know that you can get "classifed" breakers that are tested and UL listed as interchange-able for most common panels of any brand.

So now that that is clear, I want to know if the only reason a standard Siemens breaker isn't listed for a normal Eaton panel is because neither company is willing to pay to have their breakers tested for other panels. In other words, if Seimens had their way, they wouldn't want anyone to buy an Eaton breaker, much less put it in their panel.

The reason why I'm asking, is I'm wondering if there are certain standards, and measurements that all new breakers have to conform to, and that if you do see an Eaton Breaker in a Siemens panel, it isn't necessarily a safety hazard, it probably was built to all the standards of that panel, it just hasn't been tested and listed for it.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
In my opinion, this is absolutely about money. I think it's short-sighted though. If I sold breakers I'd pay for them to be tested in ALL brands of panelboards. Get them listed and advertise as the breaker that can be installed anywhere. I'd probably get all breakers tested in my panelboards. Install my panelboards and you'll never have to worry if the nearest supplier sells the correct breaker.

kwired

Electron manager
In my opinion, this is absolutely about money. I think it's short-sighted though. If I sold breakers I'd pay for them to be tested in ALL brands of panelboards. Get them listed and advertise as the breaker that can be installed anywhere. I'd probably get all breakers tested in my panelboards. Install my panelboards and you'll never have to worry if the nearest supplier sells the correct breaker.
True, but I also have always wondered why most of them are still interchangeable - meaning they will fit into other panels even if not listed, tested, whatever.

A couple of the Cadillac's of the group were designed so nothing is interchangeable with them, primarily the QO series and Cutler Hammer's CH series. Both much finer product lines than most anything else in most people's opinions. You will not find anything else that fits either of these two that was not specifically designed to fit them.

growler

if you do see an Eaton Breaker in a Siemens panel, it isn't necessarily a safety hazard, it probably was built to all the standards of that panel, it just hasn't been tested and listed for it.

For many years there were mis-matched breakers used in panels and I'm not sure there were any real problems.

The problem as I see it is this, without the testing and listing of a breaker for a certain panel how would you know how safe it is ( you have experience but you haven't done any formal testing)? You would be taking all of the responsibility on yourself by useing a mis-matched breaker. Once a breaker is listed for use in a panel it is no longer your responsibility to confirm that it is safe.

Without the testing and listing it is just the opinion of the individual electrician.

kwired

Electron manager
Without the testing and listing it is just the opinion of the individual electrician.
And chances are your liability insurance doesn't cover you for testing and listing it yourself either, no matter how formal of a procedure you didn't use.:happyyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.