Single-pole Separable Connections (Cam-loks)

Status
Not open for further replies.

busman

Occupation
Master Electrician / Electrical Engineer
There are numerous mentions of single-pole separable connectors in Chapter 5 of the NEC. What I can't find is a prohibition on their general use. I'm sure I'm missing something, but could you use cam-loks to connect a household appliance like a clothes dryer. I would have no reason to do that, but I have a colleague who wants to use cam-loks in a situation that is not covered by Chapter 5 and I'm wondering if it will meet code.

Thanks,

Mark

busman

Occupation
Master Electrician / Electrical Engineer
I think I'm going to answer my own question and say 406.8 (2011 NEC). Comments?

Mark

Last edited:

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I am not quite sure I follow the situation. For the clothes dryer example, are you asking about the code implications of using four cam-loks, one for each of the hot conductors, one for the neutral, and one for the ground, so that if you wish to disconnect the dryer you need to disconnect all four cam-loks? If so, then I don?t think 406.8 would prohibit it. Each of the connections will have the same voltage and current rating on both the male and the female ends of the cam-lok.

I will just mention that this situation would not satisfy the conditions of 422.33(A) (2011 NEC). That might not matter, however, since the branch circuit breaker would be allowed to serve as the required disconnecting means.

Status
Not open for further replies.