GFIC receptacle on a switch panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan327

Running a residental 20A receptacle circuit (for outdoor Xmas lights) through a GFIC receptacle that is mounted to the bottom of the switch panel seems like it should be in violation of the NEC.

Is this because you cannot mix outside and inside receptacles on the same circuit or you cannot attach a GFIC recepatcle to the panel and then run the circuit from the breaker through the GFI receptacle then back into the panel?

I am looking for some support that this not only falls short of a "best practice" but is actually illegal.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
Running a residental 20A receptacle circuit (for outdoor Xmas lights) through a GFIC receptacle that is mounted to the bottom of the switch panel seems like it should be in violation of the NEC.

Is this because you cannot mix outside and inside receptacles on the same circuit or you cannot attach a GFIC recepatcle to the panel and then run the circuit from the breaker through the GFI receptacle then back into the panel?

I am looking for some support that this not only falls short of a "best practice" but is actually illegal.

You're not going to find it to be illegal.
Nothing says int. and ext. can't mix as long as they are general use circuits. (not kitchen, bath or laundry circuits)
Perfectly ok to run circuit back through panel as long as you don't use up all the cross sectional area and from what I know that would be hard to do with #12 wires.
"best practice" is a personal opinion.

Alan327

Thanks

Thanks

Thank you both for your input. I guess it's not as bad as I thought. It may be legal but I would have still used a GFIC breaker. (I hope this reply is posted OK.)

Thanks,

kwired

Electron manager
You're not going to find it to be illegal.
Nothing says int. and ext. can't mix as long as they are general use circuits. (not kitchen, bath or laundry circuits)
Perfectly ok to run circuit back through panel as long as you don't use up all the cross sectional area and from what I know that would be hard to do with #12 wires.
"best practice" is a personal opinion.
Coming in 2014 the garage receptacles will no longer be allowed to serve outlets outside the garage, which was common practice for many to use a GFCI in a garage to supply outdoor receptacles. I can't recall exact language but beware it is coming, and I think it kind of has to do with anticipated increased loads from charging equipment for electric vehicles.

Cavie

Thank you both for your input. I guess it's not as bad as I thought. It may be legal but I would have still used a GFIC breaker. (I hope this reply is posted OK.)

Thanks,

your reply is just fine posted here. You must use a GFCI (breaker or receptacle) someplace at the head if the circuit before it gets to the first outside receptacle (or at the first receptacle). FYI. loose the term "Switch" panel. It's just "The panel"

Status
Not open for further replies.