Fountian pump works in one location but not another

Status
Not open for further replies.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
IMO, we are not getting straight answers or we are getting info that was not tested properly. The scenario makes no sense especially if the drill draws as much current as the pump. It is not possible to have the results given and the pump not work, IMO.

As you can see, it was possible to have the results given.

Troubleshooting very often doesn't seem to make sense until the problem is solved.

To me, that's what makes it fun. To others it makes them want to scream and tear their hair out.

Troubleshooting very often doesn't seem to make sense until the problem is solved.

To me, that's what makes it fun. To others it makes them want to scream and tear their hair out.

It's more fun for me when I solve the riddle in a reasonable amount of time....especially if someone (customer) is looking over my shoulder.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor

He never mentioned the float switch and that he was moving the pump . I was assuming cords were being run from different parts of the house and it would run sometimes and not other times. This is what happens when you don't give details.

DavJ09

He never mentioned the float switch and that he was moving the pump . I was assuming cords were being run from different parts of the house and it would run sometimes and not other times. This is what happens when you don't give details.

It was mentioned he was moving the pump and that the float switch was submerged adequately. On another note, the elevation of the pump was a detail missed but it's the simplest things that make you smack your head and act Homer Simpson like. =b

-- J. Davis (tapatalk!)

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
It doesn't come on at all. The GFCI does not trip. The pump motor has a low water shutoff but it is submerged so it will work. It works fine from another area of the house.

I did try that, it seemed trivial but I agree the location is the only difference. It will work on from several circuits(kitchen, laundry, garage) but not others(bedroom, porch, microwave).
In fairness, the manual for that pump does not say it even has a "float switch" or that it is position sensitive. All it says is that it has a "water sensor" and that you must ensure that the sensor is submerged. The picture of it in the manual looks like a U shaped tube, with no description of what it is or how it works, only in that it is "patented". So it appears that in their efforts to protect their patented technology, they failed to mention that the position of the pump makes a difference.

http://www.smart-pond.com/index.php/products/viewProduct/23

growler

In fairness, the manual for that pump does not say it even has a "float switch" or that it is position sensitive. All it says is that it has a "water sensor" and that you must ensure that the sensor is submerged. The picture of it in the manual looks like a U shaped tube, with no description of what it is or how it works, only in that it is "patented". So it appears that in their efforts to protect their patented technology, they failed to mention that the position of the pump makes a difference.

I looked at the instructions manual when we were trying to figure this thing out and it's not very helpfull at all.

But you do usually install a pond pump up on some rocks or bricks or whatever to keep it off the bottom of the pond. If you didn't it would suck in all the pond scum or scrud and wouldn't run for long.

You would think they would provide this information in the manual but I guess they wait for you to call tech support.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
When I ran a Tech Support dept for a company years ago, were very SPECIFICALLY targeted our most common issues to the Tech Writers so that they could tweak the instruction manuals to AVOID these sort of things. Now days I suppose NOT doing that provides some level of job security for the Tech Support people. Come to think of it, I eventually had to change jobs because we got down to having only 2 tech support engineers...

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
FWIW, I once had a sump pump which, for whatever reason, had an air tube running inside the cord from the sealed motor to an open end at the cord.
If something like that were involved in the OPs case, and if, for example there were some water accidentally introduced into that tube, the the position of the cord could effect the operation of the level sensor.

Tapatalk!

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician

That is more often the case than not, and I can tell you that from years and years of experience troubleshooting electrical systems on structures, vehicles, trailers and marine craft.

And, many times the 'details' have nothing to do with the issue.

I swagged that there may be a switch issue simply because switches have been the cause of many problems over the years. You are correct, the OP never mentioned a switch, but why would you assume there wasn't one? Fountain pumps are basically sump pumps. How many times has a float switch caused trouble on a sump pump for you? For me, lots of times.

If I can physically test a system for a problem, the only thing I need to know from the owner is how they will know when it's fixed. I don't need any details or history. That is saved for later and used for prevention.

If the owner gives me a 'run down' I really don't listen to them. All I trust is my test equipment and all I respect is successful experience.

I could tell you some crazy stories about troubleshooting systems on cars. One involved a seat sensor in a Lincoln that was part of the restraint system. The sensor would not allow the car to start if someone was in the seat and the seat belt was not buckled. That's why so many people used to buckle the belts and tuck them in the crack of the seat and sit on them.

The car was towed to me and I started it right up. Repeatedly. But when the owner came, the car would not start for him. This was non-intermittent and repeatable. It almost seemed like the car knew who was sitting in the seat.......

I weighed about 200 lbs. The owner weighed closer to 400 lbs. All of a sudden, it dawned on me.........

I will remember that one forever. For a while I thought the Lincoln was possessed!

growler

About 1990 I was going to replace the starter on a pick-up truck. I purchased a rebuilt starter at the local auto parts store and was going to install. I tested the starter before installng and it wouldn't work correctly so I took it back to the auto parts store where they have a set up to test starters.

They pulled a total of maybe 6 starters off the shelf and tested them and none of them tested good so they started to think their tester was bad. I suggested they test a known good or new starter and sure enough it tested good.

They wouldn't refund my money but did give me credit to go to another autoparts store and finally I found a starter that would test good and would fit the truck. All of this took about three hours just trying to find a part that would work. Installed the starter and never had anymore problems with it.

My point is that the guys at the autoparts store just about had me thinking that I was nuts because I refused to leave until they could prove the had a working starter motor. They insisted that their starters must be good good because it didn't make sense that so many would test bad.

Buy the way they put all those bad starter motors back on the shelf to sell to unsuspecting customers and I made a note never to buy anything else from them ( and I haven't).

kwired

Electron manager
Buy the way they put all those bad starter motors back on the shelf to sell to unsuspecting customers and I made a note never to buy anything else from them ( and I haven't).

Also do not buy anything at big box stores that has obviously been opened before, I still get burned occasionally and need to look harder, as someone either returned a defective or non working item, or parts may be missing.

Had P&S GFCI's one time that once finally was at the job and opened the box - it did not even have P&S brand devices in the box:rant:

growler

Also do not buy anything at big box stores that has obviously been opened before, I still get burned occasionally and need to look harder, as someone either returned a defective or non working item, or parts may be missing.

Had to learn that one the hard way but I did learn.

I try to help others out when I return something that is bad to the big box stores. I use a red marker and write "bad" on the box.

Status
Not open for further replies.