2 pole disconnect with two different sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weren

Hello, I am doing some wiring for a Hospital that is installing a wheelchair lifting system. The wheelchair lift company wants me to install a 2 pole 30 amp disconnect for them. They want 1 pole to have a 120volt circuit and the other pole be used to disconnect a 24volt battery backup that they are installing. So both sources will be disconnected when the switch is off. Is this allowed code wise to have 2 different sources in this disconnect? If not could you please reference a code section. Thanks!

iwire

Staff member
In general you can mix different sources in the same enclosure when needed with a 1/4" minimum spacing.

They just can not be run in the same raceway.

kwired

Electron manager
Hello, I am doing some wiring for a Hospital that is installing a wheelchair lifting system. The wheelchair lift company wants me to install a 2 pole 30 amp disconnect for them. They want 1 pole to have a 120volt circuit and the other pole be used to disconnect a 24volt battery backup that they are installing. So both sources will be disconnected when the switch is off. Is this allowed code wise to have 2 different sources in this disconnect? If not could you please reference a code section. Thanks!
Might want to look at ratings of the switch(es) you are considering using as well.

Not all AC switches are rated for DC, and depending on what is supplied by the DC circuit it could require a different amp rating as well. 24 volts x 30 amps only gives you one tenth the total VA as 240 volts x 30 amps.

Status
Not open for further replies.