100 Fitting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fmtjfw

Section/Paragraph: 100 Fitting.

Added Text

Fitting. An accessory such as a locknut, bushing, or other part of a wiring system that is intended primarily to perform a mechanical rather than an electrical function.

Informational Note: A fitting that has a dual role such as a grounding locknut or bushing is still considered a fitting.

Substantiation:

Reduce possible confusion.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
"Fitting" is one of those defined terms that just gives me "fits".
2011 NEC Article 100 Definitions
Fitting.
An accessory such as a locknut, bushing, or other part of a wiring system that is intended primarily to perform a mechanical rather than an electrical function.
By this definition, if I use a piece of EMT to sleeve a run of NM-B solely for the purpose of "physical protection", then the EMT itself fits the definition of a "fitting".

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
So is a coupling a fitting?
Yes it is and that fact is why the code rule says now says that there can be no more than 360? of bend between pull points. Prior to the 1990 code the rule said no more than 360? of bend between fittings...until they figured out that the rule actually permitted 360? of bend between every coupling.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Yes it is and that fact is why the code rule says now says that there can be no more than 360? of bend between pull points. Prior to the 1990 code the rule said no more than 360? of bend between fittings...until they figured out that the rule actually permitted 360? of bend between every coupling.

I didn't realize that-- great. My point about the coupling being a fitting- which I knew it was-had me thinking- is this a mechanical or electrical. It is mechanical in the sense that it physically holds the pipe together but it is also an electrical continuity so the definition IMO is confusing

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Section/Paragraph: 100 Fitting.

Added Text

Informational Note: A fitting that has a dual role such as a grounding locknut or bushing is still considered a fitting.

. . . if I use a piece of EMT to sleeve a run of NM-B solely for the purpose of "physical protection", then the EMT itself fits the definition of a "fitting".
So, IF, when used for physical protection, EMT, by the informational note, "is still considered a fitting", THEN, the Article 100 Definition of Raceway also considering EMT "raceway" becomes very confusing.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
So, IF, when used for physical protection, EMT, by the informational note, "is still considered a fitting", THEN, the Article 100 Definition of Raceway also considering EMT "raceway" becomes very confusing.

Al I do not see emt as a fitting. If it is used for physical protection and is just a sleeve then it is just that- a sleeve.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Al I do not see emt as a fitting. If it is used for physical protection and is just a sleeve then it is just that- a sleeve.

What are you using as a definition of "sleeve" to inform your opinion?

Sleeve is not in Article 100, unlike fitting and raceway.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Dennis,

How can you determine that EMT used as a sleeve is NOT an "other part of a wiring system" as called out in the definition of "fitting"?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Dennis,

How can you determine that EMT used as a sleeve is NOT an "other part of a wiring system" as called out in the definition of "fitting"?

IMO the sleeve is not any more a part of the wiring system then a piece of wood covering the wire. It does not need to be grounded so I don't see it as part of the system. Is a wall that the wire runs thru a part of the system-- that is how I see it.

fmtjfw

Looks like James is trying to set a new record again for proposals.... 500+ for the last code cycle---:)

I'm trying to set a record for ACCEPTED proposals. Accepted proposals would indicate merit. For 2014, I was beaten out in accepted proposals by the Union guy who did all the 1000V proposals.

Besides it keeps me out of the bingo halls.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Al, I don't follow you at all. PVC as a sleeve is no different. I thought you were trying to say that a sleeve is a fitting and part of the system.

I can substitute PVC for EMT with no change in my points above, and there goes your last point.
You said EMT is not grounded. . . neither is PVC

The sleeve, required by the NEC for physical protection of a cable, is part of the Premises Wiring System.

Yes. Premises Wiring System.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
The problem is in James' informational note resulting in a raceway used as a sleeve being also called a fitting.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
If the OP's substantiation for the Informational Note is to "reduce possible confusion", then it's not working. :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.