reading electrical plan on computer based 2011 E2 test

Status
Not open for further replies.

falon

I recently took the commercial electrical inspectors test and there was a plan reading question. a lighting circuit was shown. how would I tell if the circuit was allways on or switched by a circuit breaker. I have not found anywhere that shows what this would look like on a plan. any ideas?

Last edited:

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
Most likely a symbol with a number in it next to the circuit number leading you to a note stating such.

drktmplr12

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I recently took the commercial electrical inspectors test and there was a plan reading question. a lighting circuit was shown. how would I tell if the circuit was allways on or switched by a circuit breaker. I have not found anywhere that shows what this would look like on a plan. any ideas?

It would likely show a circuit designation from a panelboard with a home run without a switch provided for the light.

My understanding of the code means that any light that is 'always on' will still need to be protected by a circuit breaker to protect the circuit from ground faults.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Typically only night lights are the only lights that are always on in commercial, usually designated with a symbol like N/L. Those that are not N/L and no switch shown in circuit are switched via breaker or lighting contactor.

For many simple lighting plans, N/L's are commonly emergency lights also.

Status
Not open for further replies.