Rate the Rookie

Learn the NEC with Mike Holt now!

Rate the Rookie

• Even a second week helper knows to bond the box, I wouldn't let this guy carry my tools.

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • The ground is just there for safety, it's not really important.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Just have him correct the errors and move on.

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • He needs to hire a licensed electrical contractor and get this permitted and inspected.

Votes: 13 54.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

busman

Occupation
Master Electrician / Electrical Engineer
All,

I have a long-time commercial (non-profit) site that I do a lot of work for; both paid and volunteer. The employees there are all very close friends of mine; almost family. They don't have a lot of extra money to burn because they are a non-profit.

They are having a new network/phone system installed. A few weeks ago, I was walking thru the property and saw one of the network contractors with a piece of MC cable and a piece of 10-2 Romex. Thinking that the 10-2 Romex was a bit out of place for a network installation, I asked a few questions and was told that he was a "ex-electrician" and was adding to a circuit for a switch and that he knew what he was doing. I left it go there, but said that I would be checking his work, so it had better be right.

Anyway, I go to check on the work yesterday and found this:

DSCN0370.jpg

The biggest issue is that the EGC in the MC cable is attached to the receptacle, but NOT to the metal box. I pointed this out to the network guy and he as surprised that this was required. Also, he wanted black receptacles, but rather than buy that color, he spray-painted the face black. Heaven only knows how much paint got on the contacts of the receptacle.

I confronted the contractor about licensing and permits and he gave me a run-around, but couldn't produce either.

Anyway, I think management there listens to me, but second opinions can't hurt to reinforce my point, so if you are willing please answer the poll question and/or provide your opinion.

As always, thanks,

Mark

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
All,

I have a long-time commercial (non-profit) site that I do a lot of work for; both paid and volunteer. The employees there are all very close friends of mine; almost family. They don't have a lot of extra money to burn because they are a non-profit.

They are having a new network/phone system installed. A few weeks ago, I was walking thru the property and saw one of the network contractors with a piece of MC cable and a piece of 10-2 Romex. Thinking that the 10-2 Romex was a bit out of place for a network installation, I asked a few questions and was told that he was a "ex-electrician" and was adding to a circuit for a switch and that he knew what he was doing. I left it go there, but said that I would be checking his work, so it had better be right.

Anyway, I go to check on the work yesterday and found this:

View attachment 10447

The biggest issue is that the EGC in the MC cable is attached to the receptacle, but NOT to the metal box. I pointed this out to the network guy and he as surprised that this was required. Also, he wanted black receptacles, but rather than buy that color, he spray-painted the face black. Heaven only knows how much paint got on the contacts of the receptacle.

I confronted the contractor about licensing and permits and he gave me a run-around, but couldn't produce either.

Anyway, I think management there listens to me, but second opinions can't hurt to reinforce my point, so if you are willing please answer the poll question and/or provide your opinion.

As always, thanks,

Mark

OK, I'll bite. Painting the face of the receptacle is a big no-no. along with your concern of reduced connectivity of paint on the contacts is that the paint can short out the pins as well, now or over time as it collects dust and other conductive material Grounding the receptacle and not the box, is illegal, so I wouldn't do it, but it is mostly illegal because people have a bad habit of not tightening the mounting screws of the receptacle. I was a code change several years ago. So illegal, wouldn't do it, but understand that it is often not necessary for safety

busman

Occupation
I think he was using the 10-2 Romex because that was what he had on the truck. When I made my original comment to him it was late in the day and I'm guessing he went off and got the MC cable and came back the next day.

Mark

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Just because a place is not for profit doesn't mean it deserves crappy work.

The errors need to be corrected, no matter what it takes, and the person that did the work should not be allowed back.

I may also consider having a chat with the local inspector, maybe run this question by him or her.

I don't know if hiring an EC to fix a single receptacle run is prudent, but you may find one that would volunteer to make the fix. We haven't seen what the other end of the run looks like.

Beside not knowing of following the code, the electrical installation looks like crap. Most not for profit orgs exist to help people. They shouldn't get stuck by a profiteer.

Last edited:

busman

Occupation
Is that a used receptacle?

It looks like the grounding hole on the left is broken out.

I don't know if it is used or not, but great catch. I'm sure it was another case of "what he had on his truck".

Thanks a bunch.

Mark

pfalcon

More out of curiosity. Do you think he used a nail set to get the angle on those drywall screws or just hammered them in?

jap

Occupation
Electrician
I'll just say, even though it looks like he may not be the best electrician,,,,,, I think he'd make a great Magician.

I dont see any wire in that box at all,,,,, and if there is,it must have been terminated to the receptacle first, tucked neatly behind the receptacle, and then slid perfectly down the flex.

Otherwise, I have no idea how he terminated it and fastened it to the box with such short wires and then even made it to where we couldnt see any of the wires at all,,,,,,, Amazing !!!!!!!

JAP>

Status
Not open for further replies.