Smoked

Status
Not open for further replies.
NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
View attachment 10475

200 HP vfd. Owner said it would not start in Hand and noticed this smoke/burn mark.
Two hours away. It was operator error on starting in Hand but the mark has me puzzled.
Drive starts and runs fine. No burnt smell inside the enclosure. No noticeable damage.

Lightning? The primary passes the property in a "T" with this xfmr bank at the bottom of the T. 1/4 mile.
Yes, ground rods, and with typical surge protection at POCO pole.

north star

= = ) + ( = =

Are you sure that is smoke remnants ?..........Possibly something else,
...maybe grease \ dirt from previous work or installing something ?

If that is smoke remnants
, ..have you looked behind the bracket
on the VFD to investigate ?

= = ( + ) = =

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
It looks like no more than standard 'chimney effect' dust and dirt accumulating above a heat sink.

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Part Time Electrician (semi retired, old) - EE retired.
i do forensics work, some observations.
1) i have no idea what this device is
2) the "blast" direction was up to the left at shallow angle, notice the head of carriage bolt shielded some "blast"
3) the hex heads in the unit, the one on left looks clean, the one on the right looks scorched
4) is there some type of cover for this, one that would have shielded the wall just under the carriage bolt head?

Untitled_1.jpg

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
i do forensics work, some observations.
1) i have no idea what this device is
2) the "blast" direction was up to the left at shallow angle, notice the head of carriage bolt shielded some "blast"
3) the hex heads in the unit, the one on left looks clean, the one on the right looks scorched
4) is there some type of cover for this, one that would have shielded the wall just under the carriage bolt head?

Untitled_1.jpg

This the heat sink for an AB Vfd. Hoffman type enclosure for this use. Exposed to the elements. No cover.

Status
Not open for further replies.