How's business?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
After the 2008 crash all I ever heard was how the economy wasn't doing well, but I didn't really feel the effects. Maybe because all my business was referrals and repeat business.

Last year was probably the most money I've ever made in my life. This year has been good so far, but there's a little bit of a slow down this last week or two. I have more work coming up in the next week or two.

How's business for you guys? If you don't mind, mention where you are, if you run your own outfit (even if it's just you) and how long. Obviously you don't need to share the dollar numbers, but maybe if you wanted to give a percentage up or down of what you're used to.

Knuckle Dragger

Master Electrician Electrical Contractor 01752
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
After the 2008 crash all I ever heard was how the economy wasn't doing well, but I didn't really feel the effects. Maybe because all my business was referrals and repeat business.

Last year was probably the most money I've ever made in my life. This year has been good so far, but there's a little bit of a slow down this last week or two. I have more work coming up in the next week or two.

How's business for you guys? If you don't mind, mention where you are, if you run your own outfit (even if it's just you) and how long. Obviously you don't need to share the dollar numbers, but maybe if you wanted to give a percentage up or down of what you're used to.

I am glad to hear of your success:thumbsup:
I run my own outfit. I hire help or get truly skilled help when I need a push to get me through the larger projects. I am very choosy about the people and contractors I work for and am not afraid to walk away from a prospective job if a get a bad vibe.
Work slowed down for me for about two years, but at a pace that I did not mind working at. I still made plenty of $ to support our way of life. My family was young and I got to spend more time with them :)
Business has been steadily improving since 2009 at least 20 percent per year. I would also have to say that last year was the most $ I have made since starting my business some 25 years ago.:thumbsup:

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
The guys that survived by and large seem to be doing pretty well in general.

The company I work for is doing pretty well. It was slow off and on but we made it thru. Some times it was unpleasant.

GUNNING

biking

biking

The guys that survived by and large seem to be doing pretty well in general.

The company I work for is doing pretty well. It was slow off and on but we made it thru. Some times it was unpleasant.

Work is cycling here. Material costs are cycling also with fuel being the wild card cost estimate. The work shows up but not predictably.

Last edited:

mgookin

Most of those who folded were into construction only.

The service guys who have been around for a long time are still around.

And now there's some construction coming back in some places.

The company I worked for here in Florida slowed down considerably, so in 2008 I started my own company and have been doing that ever since. I figured it was a lousy time to start a business, but things could only get better cause they surely couldn't get any worse, for me anyway.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~

calif. was slammed pretty badly in 2008. lotta people folded in 2009-10

2009 was the worst year for taxable income i've ever had, ever.
including when i was in junior high school, mowing lawns. that was better.

this has been the best year i've ever had. ever. looking like 300k~400k in
billing for this year, depending on how things shake out.... i'm a one man band.

CT Tom

In business since 2004, CT

08 wasn't bad, had some big projects going for the 1% so 08-early 09 was ok. late 09 was rough, 10 was f'n brutal. 11 was just as bad. 12 was good, 13 was meh, 14 so far, phenomenal. New home buyers, service work and two small time GC's who also managed to survive.

Biggest business killers for me in 09 through 11, two high end contracting firm cut their staff by 70%, and all the PM's I knew were gone, so that referral source dried up, and the CT Lutron Rep passed away, he was by far my single largest referral source, at least 60% of my business came from him. Second was all the clients I had sold/lost their homes, and new homeowners brought in their own or did their own work.

Currently employ two guys 30-45 hrs a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.