Service upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquidtite

Thanksss... In ct

is their a distance after penetrating house from the load side of meter that you have to hit your mdp? I think this code varies depending on what local code you fall under I was woundering if their are any ct guys out their that would no thanks for your time

iwire

Staff member
Thanksss... In ct

is their a distance after penetrating house from the load side of meter that you have to hit your mdp? I think this code varies depending on what local code you fall under I was woundering if their are any ct guys out their that would no thanks for your time

I am CT licensed but I don't know the answer to that one.

GerryB

Thanksss... In ct

I am in Ct and done a lot of services and it sometimes is town to town. One town let me go from the meter outside 5' in with seu cable to the panel and the same situation in another town made me move it as close to entering as I could. I am pretty sure if the oil tank is where you enter you are allowed to go past the oil tank and then your panel. Some towns try to discourage HO's from doing there own service. We are allowed to cut and reconnect here but the HO would not be allowed to do that. As one post said if the HO pulls the permit he is supposed to do the work, not his friend the electrician.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
As one post said if the HO pulls the permit he is supposed to do the work, not his friend the electrician.
This is the best advice you can get for the $$$. If you help you now have an implied liability.

It's one thing for a HO to install a few receptacles or light fixtures. It's quite another to install a service and especially one that requires a CT. Anyway, I don't know the specifics about this particular install but if he installs a main disconnect right out of CT then he can run SER cable to where ever he wishes to put his main lug panel. This is not something a person should do after watching an on-line video.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
This is the best advice you can get for the $$$. If you help you now have an implied liability.

It's one thing for a HO to install a few receptacles or light fixtures. It's quite another to install a service and especially one that requires a CT. Anyway, I don't know the specifics about this particular install but if he installs a main disconnect right out of CT then he can run SER cable to where ever he wishes to put his main lug panel. This is not something a person should do after watching an on-line video.

CT = Connecticut

CT = Connecticut

How to mis-interpret something in 3 easy lessons :slaphead::slaphead::slaphead:

Yeah, but I still wouldn't want to sleep in a house that had the service installed by the HO :happyno:

Status
Not open for further replies.