GFCI receptacle on AFCI breaker - Failed

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike9593

I just failed a finished basement renovation because I installed a GFCI receptacle in a utility room that is protected by a 20 amp AFCI breaker. I cannot find this prohibited anywhere in the code.
Before I call the inspector, can anyone tell me if this is acceptacle? and where in the 2011 code either permits or prohibits this?
I do not see a problem with this...
And now the 2014 code when adopted in NJ requires kitchens to be AFCI protected - so what about the kitchen countertops?
He has got to be mistaken????

edlee

I don't know of a 2011 rule that prohibits it. Yes, kitchen counter top outlets now AFCI and GFCI protected. Dishwashers too, plugged in or hardwired. You should read the section(s) since it's too much to list here.

QO breakers are the only ones that can do both, so my next few installs will be SQ-D until Murray gets on board.

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
Yea, I don't see the violation. Either he is incorrect or that's not the violation he's talking about. The only thing I can think of is if he wants you to supply the laundry room receptacles with an small appliance branch circuit for laundry?

Last edited:

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
No NEC issue.

Did he cite you for " NO GFCI receptacle on an AFCI circuit"?? Or for some other reason, maybe you have the laundry circuit that is shared with the finished basement? I am assuming the utility room has laundry appliances

Did you ask him for a code reference?

Did you ask him if " No GFCI on AFCI" is a local amendment to the NEC?

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Yea, I don't see the violation. Either he is incorrect or that's not the violation he's talking about. The only thing I can think of is if he wants you to supply the laundry room receptacles with an small appliance branch circuit for laundry?

:?:blink:
Please splain this as I'm not sure what a "small appliance branch circuit for laundry" is.

mike9593

No NEC issue.

Did he cite you for " NO GFCI receptacle on an AFCI circuit"?? Or for some other reason, maybe you have the laundry circuit that is shared with the finished basement? I am assuming the utility room has laundry appliances

Did you ask him for a code reference?

Did you ask him if " No GFCI on AFCI" is a local amendment to the NEC?

No laundry equipment - just a utility rm (unfinished basement) with a furnace.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I just failed a finished basement renovation because I installed a GFCI receptacle in a utility room that is protected by a 20 amp AFCI breaker. I cannot find this prohibited anywhere in the code.
Before I call the inspector, can anyone tell me if this is acceptacle? and where in the 2011 code either permits or prohibits this?
I do not see a problem with this...
And now the 2014 code when adopted in NJ requires kitchens to be AFCI protected - so what about the kitchen countertops?
He has got to be mistaken????

No laundry equipment - just a utility rm (unfinished basement) with a furnace.

Which is it, finished or unfinished?
The two statements in red contradict each other.

kwired

Electron manager
2011 this outlet needs GFCI protection, likely doesn't need AFCI protection - but is not prohibited to have such protection.

2014 this outlet likely needs both GFCI and AFCI protection.

There may be other code issues but both GFCI and AFCI protection of same circuit or portion of a circuit was never something prohibited.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I wonder what this inspector is going to say when he runs across one of Square D's new AFCI/GFCI breakers?

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I wonder what this inspector is going to say when he runs across one of Square D's new AFCI/GFCI breakers?

He's going to say pull that out as it must not be a real GFCI. or Pull that out as it is not listed. or someting.

Any inspector that has the nerve to complain fail an inspection about a circuit being both AFCI and GFCI without checking the code is not going to admit anything and will probably look for something else to gig you for.

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
:?:blink:
Please splain this as I'm not sure what a "small appliance branch circuit for laundry" is.

Sorry bill (my bad) I meant to refer NEC 210.11 C2 Laundry Branch Circuit not small appliance, which shall have no other outlets than those in the laundry area.

Status
Not open for further replies.