Closet Light Motion Sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
Has anyone tried a standard occupancy sensor mounted on the ceiling in a walk in closet to control the ceiling light? If so, any issues?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Should not be a problem on a walk in. I have not used them in a closet but there should be no reason for it not to work. I would say there may be issues with a shallow closet but not a walk in.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
By "Standard" you mean the one that usually gets installed on the wall instead of a switch?? Or you mean "any motion sensor" to be used in a closet?

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Yes, I have a bunch of them in the shop and want to use them up.

I don't see any issue with it. But I don't know how the sensor is set up. For example, when installed on the a wall does the sensor range set up so it senses horizontal plane or a horizontal and a vertical plane.

Another words, when it is installed on the wall 48" AFF will it sense motion below or above 24" or 36"??

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
I don't see any issue with it. But I don't know how the sensor is set up. For example, when installed on the a wall does the sensor range set up so it senses horizontal plane or a horizontal and a vertical plane.

Another words, when it is installed on the wall 48" AFF will it sense motion below or above 24" or 36"??
I'm thinking its a cone, the further from sensor the wider the cone?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
It is a cone, but by cause the angle cutoff is not sharp the detection surface gets wider than the mathematical cone as you get close to the detector

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Part Time Electrician (semi retired, old) - EE retired.
small closet the pattern doesnt likely matter. mounting on ceiling ?? the only issue is having to tune the sensor, pita to keep going on ladder, then wait, then test, and then back on ladder again. i like wall mounted sensor because i use the ones that have off-auto-on switch right on the sensor.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
small closet the pattern doesnt likely matter. mounting on ceiling ?? the only issue is having to tune the sensor, pita to keep going on ladder, then wait, then test, and then back on ladder again. i like wall mounted sensor because i use the ones that have off-auto-on switch right on the sensor.

Good point but I figured that if it's mounted on the ceiling, there is no chance of something blocking it, causing issues.

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Part Time Electrician (semi retired, old) - EE retired.
If the unit has "Top" stamped on one end of the yoke, ceiling mounting it wouldn't be following the manufacturers instructions! :p

most ceilings are not perfectly level, so you can still mount "top" on the high side of the slope?

Status
Not open for further replies.