Never worked with 208V!

Status
Not open for further replies.

blupony96

I need to install a 208V 1p breaker for a server. The service is a 208V 3p. I am stumped as to which breaker to use. Can I just use a 120/240V breaker or is there something I am missing?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
If the service is 208 3 phase you can not obtain 208 volts from a 1 pole breaker.
2 pole for 208 single phase, 3 pole for 208 3 phase,

iwire

Staff member
I need to install a 208V 1p breaker for a server. The service is a 208V 3p. I am stumped as to which breaker to use. Can I just use a 120/240V breaker or is there something I am missing?

I looked at your profile and am curious if your area allows you to do this work.

That aside if you need 208 volts from a 208Y/120 supply you will need a 2 pole breaker not a single pole. The fact you do not know that re-enforces my concerns of your qualifications to do this work.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
(I answered in hopes that you were asking from a "Technical" standpoint in "assisting engineers" as in your profile. ) I would have to agree with Iwire and
emphasize from the nature of your question you do not need to be performing any installations.

growler

I looked at your profile and am curious if your area allows you to do this work.That aside if you need 208 volts from a 208Y/120 supply you will need a 2 pole breaker not a single pole. The fact you do not know that re-enforces my concerns of your qualifications to do this work.
I agree with Iwire that you are probably not qualified to do this work. But don't feel bad because most of us are not qualified to do your job either. I would suggest that you get a qualified electrician because when I install this sort of equipment I almost never get the correct information furnished to me and have to visit the job site to determine what is really needed.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
It is possible the OP is not looking to do the actual installation, but rather needs to select and specify a device on a set of construction documents.

blupony96

It is possible the OP is not looking to do the actual installation, but rather needs to select and specify a device on a set of construction documents.

Everyone is correct about my qualifications. I am NOT doing the installation! This type of work is outside my scope. I would love to do the installation, but finding an apprenticeship around here is very hard. What I am trying to accomplish is create the proper documents and acquire the materials so the installation goes off without a hitch.

Now, I have phrased my question improperly. I need assistance selecting a 2 pole breaker. I am looking at 120/240V 30A GE THHQB and THQB breakers. I can't find the information that distinguishes the difference between the 2. Can someone suggest/define which breaker would be correct to use?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
The main difference between a EE degree and a EET degree is that the EET gets more time in the lab with test equipment, and winds up with more hands-on experience than a EE would ever get. A EET is more qualified than a EE to carry a tool belt. As to whether the local laws and the nature of the task would enable a EET to perform an installation task, or whether a licensed electrician is needed, that is more than I can address.

It seems to me that the basic question comes down to the compatibility of the panel and the proposed breaker. You say that you can't find a 2-pole breaker that is rated for 208 volts. That would surprise me. But perhaps the manufacturers rate their breakers at 240 volts, and allow them to be used in either a 208 volt panel or a 240 volt panel. Can anyone address this question?

blupony96

Thanks for the concerns, but..........

Thanks for the concerns, but..........

Everyone is right. I am NOT doing the installation. Thank you for the concerns.

I am responsible for "designing" the addition of a 208v receptacle for our server UPS and acquiring the materials. I have obviously stated my question too loosely.

I am looking at GE 120/240V 30A THHQB and THQB breakers. Are these the proper breakers that I should have the installer use?

blupony96

What is the available fault current?

The UPS is rated at 4000W/5000VA with a 208V input bucking to 120V output. Thus, I am assuming, the available fault current for the device would be 5000VA / 208V = 24A. I then should increase that by 25% to determine the size of the breaker, giving me 30A, correct?

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
... perhaps the manufacturers rate their breakers at 240 volts, and allow them to be used in either a 208 volt panel or a 240 volt panel. Can anyone address this question?
This is the situation. Molded case circuit breakers are listed with maximum voltages.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
The main difference between a EE degree and a EET degree is that the EET gets more time in the lab with test equipment, and winds up with more hands-on experience than a EE would ever get. A EET is more qualified than a EE to carry a tool belt. As to whether the local laws and the nature of the task would enable a EET to perform an installation task, or whether a licensed electrician is needed, that is more than I can address.

It seems to me that the basic question comes down to the compatibility of the panel and the proposed breaker. You say that you can't find a 2-pole breaker that is rated for 208 volts. That would surprise me. But perhaps the manufacturers rate their breakers at 240 volts, and allow them to be used in either a 208 volt panel or a 240 volt panel. Can anyone address this question?

Breakers are listed for their maximum voltage to ground. For example breakers for a 120/240 and 120/208 are the same. However a 120/240 delta is 208 to ground and must use a 240 volt rated breaker as a 120 volt breaker won't clear a 208 volt ground fault.
Take a look at 240.83 and 240.85

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Everyone is right. I am NOT doing the installation. Thank you for the concerns.

I am responsible for "designing" the addition of a 208v receptacle for our server UPS and acquiring the materials. I have obviously stated my question too loosely.

I am looking at GE 120/240V 30A THHQB and THQB breakers. Are these the proper breakers that I should have the installer use?

We appreciate you asking for help. We don't allow DIYers and that's where the earlier concern was.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
Everyone is correct about my qualifications. I am NOT doing the installation! This type of work is outside my scope. I would love to do the installation, but finding an apprenticeship around here is very hard. What I am trying to accomplish is create the proper documents and acquire the materials so the installation goes off without a hitch.

Now, I have phrased my question improperly. I need assistance selecting a 2 pole breaker. I am looking at 120/240V 30A GE THHQB and THQB breakers. I can't find the information that distinguishes the difference between the 2. Can someone suggest/define which breaker would be correct to use?

they both are bolt-in. THQB is 10,000 AIC. THHQB is 22,000 AIC
If you can you need to look at the load center and see what breakers are listed for use in that panel.

blupony96

Thank You!

Thank You!

Breakers are listed for their maximum voltage to ground. For example breakers for a 120/240 and 120/208 are the same. However a 120/240 delta is 208 to ground and must use a 240 volt rated breaker as a 120 volt breaker won't clear a 208 volt ground fault.
Take a look at 240.83 and 240.85

I opened the NEC and read the articles you referenced. Thank you! We have determined that I can use a 120/240V breaker, but still haven't concluded if I should use a GE THHQB or THQB breaker. How do I determine which to use in my application?

Status
Not open for further replies.