Organizations good for networking

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am just getting my Buisness started and have been told we have a pretty strong Home builder assoc in my Area, that offers great Discounts on workmans comp insurance and I have been told its great for networking to grow my residential service. Most of my experience is commercial and Low Voltage but I will be doing residential if that is what it takes to survive. I am curious about commercial work. are thier any good organization that would be good for networking to help build buisness on the commercial and Industrial side.

fmtjfw

IAEI

IAEI

For keeping up with the trade and changes in the NEC I recommend the International Association of Electrical Inspectors (IAEI.org). They have more contractor / electrician members than inspectors. They usually have local affiliates who hold training every 6 months or more often. If you are required to have CEUs for license renewal you would probably be able to use their seminars for that. We've held seminars on:

Code Changes
Grounding and Bonding
PV
Hazardous locations (Article 500+)
Work Safety

If you are a member for 3 years they will mail you the next NEC for a nominal cost (approx $10--20) when it comes out.

Disclaimer: I am a member but will derive no direct benefit if you join.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Start a Facebook page for your area. We have one here called "Simi Valley Community Forum" and it's used to support businesses in town. There are over 3000 members of the forum. Someone will post looking for an electrician and 50 people will respond, but if you could get 25 of them responding using your name, that wouldn't be bad.

Doesn't really take any effort to run one or put it together. Also get involved in the community it's self, offer your services to events and nonprofits. Both are good ways to get your name out there.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
In addition to what's already been posted I would suggest you join your local Chamber of Commerce and if you have a regional Chamber I would join that as well. I try to convince many of my colleagues that you have to "schmooze" with as many people as you can because you never know where your next job might come from. When you're part of an organization that promotes local business and taps into the assets of its members that's always a plus.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Also check for local business networking groups. My daughter belongs to three of them here in town and they help to support each other. They have all been started by local business people trying to get their name out there and almost always small businesses.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
  • Look for BNI in your area (Business networking international) I was one the founding members for the first chapter in my county and stayed a member for about 8 years. It was a really good ROI.
  • Take business classes
  • Join a NARPM chapter in your area. National Association Of Residential Property Managers
  • Join NARI National Association of the Remodeling Industry
  • Take networking classes, listen to networking audio tapes,
  • Join the local toast masters (you will learn public speaking and create new friendships and learn public speaking)
  • Join service clubs (Kiwanis, Lions club...)

Status
Not open for further replies.