AFCI in Manufactured Homes

Status
Not open for further replies.

czars

Czars
Occupation
Florida Certified Electrical Contractor
It is my understanding that Florida will adopt the 2011 NEC when the lastest version of the Florida Building Code goes into effect at the end of 2014. That being the case, I am trying to understand if there are any requirements for AFCI protection in Manufactured homes as described in Article 550. There is a specific mention of GFCI protection for receptacles in Article 550.13(B), but apparently the only reference to AFCI protection is in Article 550.13(A)(2) which identifies Article 406.4. Are Manufactured homes not covered by Article 210.12 in the 2011 NEC?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Manufactured Homes are built tom HUD standards and the Code that they adopt as referenced here:
http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2013-title24-vol5/pdf/CFR-2013-title24-vol5-part3280.pdf

The latest copy I have references the 2005 NEC:

? 3280.801 Scope.
(a) Subpart I of this part and Part II of Article 550 of the National Electrical
Code (NFPA No. 70?2005) cover the electrical conductors and equipment installed
within or on manufactured homes and the conductors that connect manufactured homes to a supply of electricity.

sparky=t

some manufactured homes are also IRC compliant, so they would meet the IRC for what ever cycle is listed on the nameplate / panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.