Dialysis Clinic

Status
Not open for further replies.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Any input on a Dialysis Clinic being a "General Patient Care Area" or a "Critical Care Area". The definitions in Art 517 an my lack of knowledge of Dialysis treatment leave me questioning. Some of the treatment certainly seems "invasive".

RichB

Occupation
Electrician/Electrical Inspector
Critical Care Space. Space in which failure of equipment
or a system is likely to cause major injury or death to patients or caregivers.

Informational Note No. 4: Critical care space includes
special care units, intensive care units, coronary care units, angiography laboratories, cardiac
catheterization laboratories, delivery rooms, operating rooms, and similar areas in which
patients are intended to be subjected to invasive procedures and are connected to line-operated,
electro-medi­cal devices.

I would say it is a critical care area based on the highlighted text above (2014 Ed.), and the 2011 says the same thing just in a different way. Dialysis is special care, generally out patient, and is considered an invasive procedure as well as being connected to the line operated electro-medical device.

fmtjfw

Critical Care Space. Space in which failure of equipment
or a system is likely to cause major injury or death to patients or caregivers.

Informational Note No. 4: Critical care space includes
special care units, intensive care units, coronary care units, angiography laboratories, cardiac
catheterization laboratories, delivery rooms, operating rooms, and similar areas in which
patients are intended to be subjected to invasive procedures and are connected to line-operated,
electro-medi­cal devices.

I would say it is a critical care area based on the highlighted text above (2014 Ed.), and the 2011 says the same thing just in a different way. Dialysis is special care, generally out patient, and is considered an invasive procedure as well as being connected to the line operated electro-medical device.

:thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.