Maybe a dumb question, But I'll run it by you anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

J.P.

I am working on a new building added on to a existing building that is being remodeled.

Everything is block and emt on the old building. The boxes are hanging off of the stubbed out pipe facing down.

My question is....... What do you think about cutting the pipes off flush where they stub out of the wall and mounting a 4x4 box over the top of them.
Just having the pipe line up with a knockout in the back of the box. The wall is poured 8" cmu block.

I'm not sure on the codeishness / codocity of this maneuver, but it would sure look better and the boxes would be mounted to the wall solidly.

I have a lot of stuff going in the boxes. power pack for occ sensor and step dimming lights with em ballast.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Based on the NEC, not allowed.

But I am sure you will not create any hazard by doing it your way, except you need to make sure the conduit is bonded.

Why not chip the block just enough so you can slide in an EMT connector on the conduit.

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
I have to agree it would not be mechanically continuous without proper connector.

If going that route anyway maybe consider cutting them with about 1/2 inch still stubbed out and use those plastic slide on bushings - still no mechanical continuity but you have a bushed edge on the raceway.

Or invent some kind of "internal" connector to use for this application, get it listed and patented and retire early:cool:

junkhound

Occupation
EE, power electronics specialty
re: Why not chip the block just enough so you can slide in an EMT connector on the conduit.

An improvement on that idear - for $5, you can get a 1-5/8" diamond hole saw and sink a kerf around the conduit, makes the chipping that much easier for 1" and less conduit !

613OecQiheL._SX522_.jpg

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
re: Why not chip the block just enough so you can slide in an EMT connector on the conduit.

An improvement on that idear - for $5, you can get a 1-5/8" diamond hole saw and sink a kerf around the conduit, makes the chipping that much easier for 1" and less conduit !

613OecQiheL._SX522_.jpg

I have seen these before but never thought it would be any good. Have you used them with any success?

kwired

Electron manager

613OecQiheL._SX522_.jpg
I haven't tried it, but why not some "pipe insulation" around the raceway at the wall penetration before concrete is put in? This would (hopefully) be easy to dig out to allow space for a fitting on the raceway. Rigid foam type should hold up well enough. Of course OP is likely beyond the point of using this method on this particular job.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I have to agree it would not be mechanically continuous without proper connector.

If going that route anyway maybe consider cutting them with about 1/2 inch still stubbed out and use those plastic slide on bushings - still no mechanical continuity but you have a bushed edge on the raceway.

Or invent some kind of "internal" connector to use for this application, get it listed and patented and retire early:cool:

They make or have made connectors like you have said they call them Tomic. You tap them on the end of the EMT.
I have a couple of them still. Made a post years ago.

http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=100354

Status
Not open for further replies.