110.26(E)(1)(b) foreign piping

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
I agree. Of course, the pipes still have to be up above the dedicated equipment space, and not 6" above the panel.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
At first I thought you actually needed a drip shield. But that is not what the code says. You only need protection from damage from condensation. So I agree with the others. The pipes still need to be more than 6 feet above the top of the panel, but you can take credit for the 3R rating as providing the required protection.

wirebender

At first I thought you actually needed a drip shield. But that is not what the code says. You only need protection from damage from condensation. So I agree with the others. The pipes still need to be more than 6 feet above the top of the panel, but you can take credit for the 3R rating as providing the required protection.

I can't take credit, engineer came up with it, I was just checking with this knowledgeable body to make sure it was compliant.
I would prefer it wasn't, going to be a pain, but that's why I make the big bucks. :lol:
480v two section panel, step down transformer, enclosed circuit breaker and 208v panel.
There is a lighting relay panel which doesn't come in 3R so I am going to put it in a 3R cabinet which brings up other challenges.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
There is a lighting relay panel which doesn't come in 3R so I am going to put it in a 3R cabinet which brings up other challenges.
There is no requirement to keep foreign piping above a lighting relay panel. You don't need to put it within a 3R enclosure.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Charles, what if its a lighting relay panel that has CB's with the relays built on?
Then we must take care of what we call it. I think it meets the article 100 definition of "panelboard." That would bring into play the requirement for dedicated equipment space. If the panel only had relays to control lighting, then I think it would not meet the definition of "panelboard," and the dedicated equipment space would not apply.

Status
Not open for further replies.