Residential light switches all in mid-position after a storm

Status
Not open for further replies.

ran113

I returned home after work and after all day thunderstorms and lightning and every light switch in my house was in the mid position! Has anyone ever seen this? Was it due to an electrical transient from the utility (there were power bumps all day), nearby lightning strike, or other? I have never seen or heard of this.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
They are not toggle dimmers. Standard on/off toggle. Family was gone and nobody had access to my house. I am going to remove some plates and look for evidence of arcing?

I cant think of anything that would cause switches to go mid-position. Unless they are very old being loose to the point vibration could have driven them down if in the up position.

At this point you may have to suspect the home was hit by lightning. Megger the circuits and look for any obvious damage.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Standard on/off toggle.
I know that you are aware that unlike circuit breakers, those switches don't have a "mid position." The toggle switch handle might have been halfway between ON and OFF. But the switch has no method of holding the handle in that position. So you have me confused with the description. Were the lights on or off?

By the way, please allow another former Navy man to welcome you to the forum.

I returned home after work and after all day thunderstorms and lightning and every light switch in my house was in the mid position! Has anyone ever seen this? Was it due to an electrical transient from the utility (there were power bumps all day), nearby lightning strike, or other? I have never seen or heard of this.

Yes, I've had it happen to me. Just on the porch light. I have no explanation, only guesses.

Short current surge, too short to trip breakers or burn out bulb - magnetic pulse vibrates switch conductor arm and dislodges actuator. Best guess I got.

GerryB

When you find out let scolaz know. Maybe the same culprit that puts all his breakers in the off position:D

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Yes, I've had it happen to me. Just on the porch light. I have no explanation, only guesses.

Short current surge, too short to trip breakers or burn out bulb - magnetic pulse vibrates switch conductor arm and dislodges actuator. Best guess I got.

It used to happen a lot at one of my long distant houses. Often in a hurry the switch would be moved just until the lights went out. They were hard to shut off, so often some would get lodge mid way. 3 ways more so just because those required the most force. But it was all by hand. No case of leaving them on or off and the finding them automatically gone midway.

I my honest opinion, unless someone moves them by hand, most switches are incapable of doing this automatically. I think this might be another on of those threads....

Status
Not open for further replies.