Kitchen Lighting & Garbage Disposal Circuits

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff48356

I know that there's a code somewhere in the NEC stating that if two circuits are present on the same yoke (wiring device), they must be on a two-pole breaker to turn them on/off simultaneously (such as in the case of a MWBC). I've seen a lot of people's kitchens where they have a double-stack switch with the top for the light over the sink, and the bottom for the disposal. They are, of course, on separate 15-amp circuits. Would this now be a violation to wire a double-stack switch that way, and that the NEC would require them to be two separate switches?

jumper

You do not need a DP CB, a handle tie will suffice.

210.7 Multiple Branch Circuits. Where two or more
branch circuits supply devices or equipment on the same
yoke, a means to simultaneously disconnect the ungrounded
conductors supplying those devices shall be provided
at the point at which the branch circuits originate.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
It is not a violation to use a stack switch but you also could have the light over the sink on the same circuit as the disposal and still be compliant, in most cases

MHElectric

It is not a violation to use a stack switch but you also could have the light over the sink on the same circuit as the disposal and still be compliant, in most cases

Alot of guys used to do this for a while, quick way to power the kitchen sink light. I dont really see anyone doing it anymore though. I think its because they forced everybody around here to put all the lights & general use rec's on arc faults.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Alot of guys used to do this for a while, quick way to power the kitchen sink light. I dont really see anyone doing it anymore though. I think its because they forced everybody around here to put all the lights & general use rec's on arc faults.

In NC where you reside the kitchen does not require afci protection. Whoever is enforcing it is overstepping their authority.

BTW, is that still legal?

Yes it is usually compliant as long as you can comply with 210.23(A)(2). Most disposals have about a 6 or 7 amp load so even on a 15 amp circuit it would be compliant

MHElectric

In NC where you reside the kitchen does not require afci protection. Whoever is enforcing it is overstepping their authority.
Basically what's enforced is - if it isnt GFI protected, its ARCF protected. Other than the wash mach, micro, disp & dw. I brought this up in an arguement when I first started out, and lost the argument (and some money!). I dont know why or when, but it seems to be the same in all the surrounding areas.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Basically what's enforced is - if it isnt GFI protected, its ARCF protected. Other than the wash mach, micro, disp & dw. I brought this up in an arguement when I first started out, and lost the argument (and some money!). I dont know why or when, but it seems to be the same in all the surrounding areas.

Well they are incorrect. The kitchen is not one of the places listed in 210.12 in the 2011. It is listed in the 2014

Cavie

they edgemacated the inspectors.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.