Controlling PLC Wirelessly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abe5gt

Hey you guys. At our company we have two skid mounted centrifuge systems and we really want to optimize it and reduce operations cost. I was wondering if we could remotely control both skids PLCs via WiFi and have only one operator in a remote location controlling both systems. Both skids will always be in different sites. Can I create a Panel View mirror? Any suggestions?

Aleman

Most PLC's today have Ethernet capability. If you have that, then you just need a wireless setup that will handle whatever range you will have
from your skids to your base. If your PLC's don't have Ethernet, there are some options for protocol converters that will convert RS22 or modbus
to Ethernet etc. What you want to do is entirely feasible, but you will need to know how to program and set it all up.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
In doing this, you should take into consideration that wireless communication systems are not as reliable as wired. I realize you will likely still have local control, but in a dire situation, one operator can't be in two locations at the same time.

meternerd

Occupation
retired water & electric utility electrician, meter/relay tech
There are also lots of low cost, low complexity SCADA systems that will probably do what you want. WiFI, radio, fiber, etc. We use fiber and radio in our remote stations. We now just send I/O from the RTU to the equipment. The RTU's talk back to the Master unit in the office. Some of our older locations have their own PLC's and the newer stuff has the PLC's in the RTU's, but it's all the same deal. I/O to and from the equipment. Comms are whatever protocol suits you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.