Using water pipe as gas bond?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhovee

maybe I am making this more complicated then it needs to be, but my questions is, if you bonded the main water line where it enters the house, could you jump off of that water pipe to hit the hot water side and then the gas line? The jumpers would be about 20 feet from the main water bond. Or does it need to be ran in a conductor the entire way. I got a bet on this one so I hope I am right.

John120/240

I suppose you have a gas furnace, in that case your gas line would be bonded where your On/Off switch is mounted. But if you wish go ahead & bond the gas pipe to the water pipe, no harm done.

m sleem

Exemplary Сasual Dating - Genuine Females
Occupation
Health
I wish if i'm not mistaken, the gas lines shall be bonded to the service panel and shall not be used as electrode.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I wish if i'm not mistaken, the gas lines shall be bonded to the service panel and shall not be used as electrode.
The NEC does not really say that.
250.104(B) Other Metal Piping. If installed in, or attached to, a building or structure, a metal piping system(s), including gas piping, that is likely to become energized shall be bonded to any of the following:
(1) Equipment grounding conductor for the circuit that is likely to energize the piping system
(2) Service equipment enclosure
(3) Grounded conductor at the service
(4) Grounding electrode conductor, if of sufficient size
(5) One or more grounding electrodes used
If you have a gas appliance that also has an electrical supply, then list item #1 is all you need to do. The NEC does not require any special bonding for gas piping. Note that for CSST gas tubing NFPA 54 and the manufacturer's instructions call for bonding that is beyond what is required by the NEC.

rhovee

My biggest concern is that the conductor is joy electrically continuos from the cold water main all the way to the HWT. I am using the galvanized water Pipe as the grounding path and not a conductor. To me a 1" galvanized water pipe has way more area than a #6 copper (125 amp service). So picture coming out of the panel and there is an existing water bond to the main line. The water pipe runs along a big beam in the garage to a HWT 20 feet away. What I did is just pulled off the cold supply and hit the hot side and gas all within 3 feet of each other.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
My biggest concern is that the conductor is joy electrically continuos from the cold water main all the way to the HWT. I am using the galvanized water Pipe as the grounding path and not a conductor. To me a 1" galvanized water pipe has way more area than a #6 copper (125 amp service). So picture coming out of the panel and there is an existing water bond to the main line. The water pipe runs along a big beam in the garage to a HWT 20 feet away. What I did is just pulled off the cold supply and hit the hot side and gas all within 3 feet of each other.

:thumbsup:

mwm1752

As long as you tap off an electrode and do not use it as a series path for the electrode it is compliant -- BTW your branch ciruit should be adequate for bonding the pipng system unles they use a CSST type gas piping system that required separate bond

Last edited:

david

The NEC does not really say that.

If you have a gas appliance that also has an electrical supply, then list item #1 is all you need to do. The NEC does not require any special bonding for gas piping. Note that for CSST gas tubing NFPA 54 and the manufacturer's instructions call for bonding that is beyond what is required by the NEC.

I also would make note that the fuel gas codes make a distinction between fixture tubing and gas supply systems. CSST used as a main gas supply in a dwelling must be bonded with no smaller than a # 6AWG, however that CSST fixture tubing to individual gas appliances are different than a main gas supply

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
As long as you tap off an electrode and do not use it as a series path for the electrode it is compliant -- BTW your branch ciruit should be adequate for bonding the pipng system unles they use a CSST type gas piping system that required separate bond

Or a few others:

(B) Other Metal Piping. If installed in, or attached to, a
building or structure, a metal piping system(s), including
gas piping, that is likely to become energized shall be
bonded to the service equipment enclosure; the grounded
conductor at the service; the grounding electrode conductor,
if of sufficient size; or to one or more grounding electrodes
used. The bonding conductor(s) or jumper(s) shall be
sized in accordance with 250.122, using the rating of the
circuit that is likely to energize the piping system(s). The
equipment grounding conductor for the circuit that is likely
to energize the piping shall be permitted to serve as the