AFCI and EGC

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Does an AFCI receptacle require an EGC, in order to function?

I ask because I just hired an electrician to install a receptacle within my fireplace's brick enclosure (to support a new propane insert). He extended an existing circuit from an existing receptacle that was close to the fireplace. He said that the local rules (Seattle) required him to put an AFCI receptacle in the existing location, before extending the circuit to the new receptacle. He also noted that the existing receptacle did not have an EGC.

The job is done and the price was a bit below what I expected. So I am happy with the work. I am just curious about the operation of the AFCI.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
There is a propane tank in the side yard. We bought it when we moved in (8 years ago), because we had a gas stove (Wolf). The gas pipe runs from the tank to a reducer on the outside wall, and from there in a crawl space to a point below the stove. The fireplace installers put in a Tee near the reducer, and ran a new pipe through the chimney brick into the area behind the fireplace insert. I do not know where any bonding may have been done. I just know that the existing receptacle adjacent to the fireplace did not have an EGC, and that the new receptacle inside the fireplace brick enclosure does not have one either.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
Does an AFCI receptacle require an EGC, in order to function?

I don't think the AFCI needs an egc, . . .
Is there any documentation that indicates that an OBC AFCI of any manufacturer actually requires, or does not require, an EGC? I have the Installation instruction sheets for both the Leviton and Eaton OBC AFCI, and, while they describe ways of connecting an EGC, they don't directly say that the device can be connected without an EGC.

. . . but the new receptacle does, or be a two wire recpt. or be GFCI protected.
This leads directly to my second, related question: Is there documentation that the circuitry of an OBC AFCI does not have any ground fault sensing component?

Last edited:

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Is there any documentation that indicates that an OBC AFCI of any manufacturer actually requires, or does not require, an EGC? I have the Installation instruction sheets for both the Leviton and Eaton OBC AFCI, and, while they describe ways of connecting an EGC, they don't directly say that the device can be connected without an EGC.

This leads directly to my second, related question: Is there documentation that the circuitry of an OBC AFCI does not have any ground fault sensing component?

Leviton AFCI does not need an EGC. I can't find it at this moment (undergoing maintenance) but found this and wanted to share. Nice code reference.

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/SectionDisplay.jsp?section=44760&minisite=10251

cc.JPG

electricalist

A gfci will work without a ground and is the recommended device to install for applications like yours. By either installing gfci at outlet that fed new outlet and placing the no equipment ground sticker on the outlet it protects. (This is what I may have offered you) or gfci at the new outlet although I have found that if I have to disconnect a device from wiring I need to let you know that if I can't make it right I don't wanna take it apart. Afci & gfci arc fault circuit interrupter & ground fault circuit interrupter .. I know afci breakers will trip if a neutral touches a ground with a load on the circuit a gfci won't.

electricalist

I have not worked on one in a while . If I remember afci breakers were tripping and in most cases I found homeowner moved in plugged lamp in and tripped every time. Pull the plug out and ground was poorly trained and touching neutral screw.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
He also noted that the existing receptacle did not have an EGC.
Charlie, as your description has this as the extension of an existing ungrounded wiring method, the beginning of the extension falls under 382.10. The test of the installation is to unplug the fireplace cord, and check for continuity of the EGC, or, to trip a GFI with a 5 milliamp fault. (I suspect that the fireplace itself will provide an appearance of ground if left plugged in.)

Status
Not open for further replies.