GEC tap bonding

Status
Not open for further replies.

MannyBurgos

Are we required to bond the GEC taps on both ends of the raceway if enclosed in emt? GEC is running in a trouf underneath the panels and we have emt connecting the trouf and panels. Will be tapping to GEC with split bolts. Are the taps required to be bonded at both ends?

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Are we required to bond the GEC taps on both ends of the raceway if enclosed in emt? GEC is running in a trouf underneath the panels and we have emt connecting the trouf and panels. Will be tapping to GEC with split bolts. Are the taps required to be bonded at both ends?

Yes. That is one reason I would not route them through the wireway and the nipples going to the panels.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
The way I interpret the requirement, the bond is only required where the GEC (or tap) enters, i.e. the transition from exposed to enclosed, or enclosed to exposed... and not intermediate transitions, i.e. enclosure to conduit or conduit to enclosure.

MannyBurgos

The way I interpret the requirement, the bond is only required where the GEC (or tap) enters, i.e. the transition from exposed to enclosed, or enclosed to exposed... and not intermediate transitions, i.e. enclosure to conduit or conduit to enclosure.

Ok. So in my case, emt is directly attached to the panel and to the gutter. Physically attached with emt connectors and locknuts. There are no coeccentric nor eccentric knockouts either. No ground bushing required?

Canton

Occupation
Electrician

GEC Taps with split bolts....? What are the taps for? Bonding jumpers?

kwired

Electron manager
GEC Taps with split bolts....? What are the taps for? Bonding jumpers?
My guess is he is talking about multiple service disconnecting means and a tap from each to a common GEC.

I think he can splice these on a bus bar, but other splicing methods would need to be irreversible methods, so the split bolts may not be compliant.

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
If that is so, I would think you at least need a bonding jumper to the trough that contains all the main GEC and taps to it. Then if the GEC is leaving via metal raceway it would need bonded at the end where the GEC emerges from raceway.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Ok. So in my case, emt is directly attached to the panel and to the gutter. Physically attached with emt connectors and locknuts. There are no coeccentric nor eccentric knockouts either. No ground bushing required?
That is correct, regarding the intermediate EMT runs between trough and panels.

If that is so, I would think you at least need a bonding jumper to the trough that contains all the main GEC and taps to it. Then if the GEC is leaving via metal raceway it would need bonded at the end where the GEC emerges from raceway.
That is correct. Bond is required where [exposed] common GEC enters trough.

No other bond is required, as the GEC, or taps thereto, do not exit the enclosed system anywhere.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
My guess is he is talking about multiple service disconnecting means and a tap from each to a common GEC.

I think he can splice these on a bus bar, but other splicing methods would need to be irreversible methods, so the split bolts may not be compliant.
Listed grounding fittings are permitted for GEC common to tap connection. They do not have to be the irreversible kind AFAICT.

electricalist

6d0ea769d1d3864bf716704bd7230eca.jpg

Is this similar. If yes we ha ve to run gec from each disconnect to bldg steel seperately. It seems that when we have tried your way it got a red lighr.

electricalist

This is true. I dont know if its the same for every ec here but grounding is basically pick 2 out of 3 cw bldg steel and ground rod. You choose. And keep it simple with how . From disconnect to what you choose for gec. No splices of any kind ..seems easy enough no need to think about it

Smart $

Esteemed Member
This is true. I dont know if its the same for every ec here but grounding is basically pick 2 out of 3 cw bldg steel and ground rod. You choose. And keep it simple with how . From disconnect to what you choose for gec. No splices of any kind ..seems easy enough no need to think about it
And that seems to be commonplace for inspectors that do not fully understand the requirements nor the principles which they are based on.

electricalist

Thats exactly right. Id never be disrespectfull about inspectors. The worst one I met actually explained how he wanted it. But I love when they look in a gutter that has multiple taps and he stares at it for not long enough and says looks good . Then say show ne how you are bonded. . That door just closed buddy

kwired

Electron manager
6d0ea769d1d3864bf716704bd7230eca.jpg

Is this similar. If yes we ha ve to run gec from each disconnect to bldg steel seperately. It seems that when we have tried your way it got a red lighr.
NEC says you could run a separate GEC to each service disconnect, a common GEC with taps to each service disconnect, you could also run a single GEC to the CT cabinet, the place where service drop attaches to the service conductors, or any other common point between. Local rules could be different, but that is your main choices in NEC.

Status
Not open for further replies.