1/0 SER Al.

Status
Not open for further replies.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
The entire 338.10(B) vs 310.15(2), (B)(6) has been so confusing since day 1 it is little doubt the CMP members disagree.
We are not on the '14 Code but I'm told it does little to clarify the situation.
It's a shame the CMPs can't develop a simple, easy to understand solution

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The entire 338.10(B) vs 310.15(2), (B)(6) has been so confusing since day 1 it is little doubt the CMP members disagree.
We are not on the '14 Code but I'm told it does little to clarify the situation.
It's a shame the CMPs can't develop a simple, easy to understand solution

If you read the wording in 2014 it clearly left out the wording that is in article 334 where it says that 310.(A)(2) shall not apply. IMO that means it should apply and therefore if the cable does not go thru insulation and only goes thru the firecaulk then we should be allowed to use 75C

JDB3

Originally Posted by jumper View Post
Is Dave Mercier a CMP member or IAEI or just works at Southwire? Just curious.

Dennis Alwon said:
CMP and it was he who got the seu dropped to 60C. Apparently his company (southwire) did a study on the cables in firecaulking and said under full load the wire was breaking down. Now we all know that you never have seu under full load especially in a residence.

OK. If it is breaking down in "fire caulking" , wouldn't that be where it has NO breathing room at all? AND if it is "breaking down under full load", as Dennis said, we never have it under full load, or just for less than 60 seconds, perhaps, at the most when a/c or similar items start up. :jawdrop:

Last edited by a moderator:

MasterTheNEC

CEO and President of Electrical Code Academy, Inc.
Occupation
CEO
Actually I find 310.15(B)(7) easy to follow now. It finally made it clear that corrections and adjustments do apply. The issue of applying 310.15(A)(2) where applicable to SE cable is in my mind clear....since it does not exclude 310.15(A)(2) like it does in 334.80 then it can be applied. As for Dave, he is on that CMP but obviously he did not voice his facts during that process because as you can see another CMP member and IAEI representative on that panel gives a different view. Also all articles for submission are reviewed by multiple sources and did not object.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Actually I find 310.15(B)(7) easy to follow now. It finally made it clear that corrections and adjustments do apply. The issue of applying 310.15(A)(2) where applicable to SE cable is in my mind clear....since it does not exclude 310.15(A)(2) like it does in 334.80 then it can be applied. As for Dave, he is on that CMP but obviously he did not voice his facts during that process because as you can see another CMP member and IAEI representative on that panel gives a different view. Also all articles for submission are reviewed by multiple sources and did not object.

Interesting. I wonder why he never responded to me when I questioned him on that. I guess he realized he was incorrect-- IDK

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
Interesting. I wonder why he never responded to me when I questioned him on that. I guess he realized he was incorrect-- IDK

Wow! I wish I could learn to hush when I'm incorrect :D

So, the answer to the OP is ???

MasterTheNEC

Occupation
CEO
Also remember...what Southwire tests only applies to their product. It the statement by Dave applies to all manufacturers then you would get a NEMA proposal and unified statement and none exists.

JDB3

Just kind-of-hard to get 4" RMC inside the 2X4 studs (which has shrunk to perhaps 1 1/2" X 3 1/2"). A lot of homeowners would not appreciate the looks of 4" RMC, or having to shine it up when company came over! :happyyes:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Wow! I wish I could learn to hush when I'm incorrect :D

So, the answer to the OP is ???

IMO the answer would depend on how much insulation the ser is passing thru. If it is more than 10' or where 310.15(A)(2) does not apply then 60C would be the temp. rating. If it is just caulking then 75C would rule.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
IMO the answer would depend on how much insulation the ser is passing thru. If it is more than 10' or where 310.15(A)(2) does not apply then 60C would be the temp. rating. If it is just caulking then 75C would rule.

That was my impression when the dust settled... just confirming

Only one problem, 310.15(A)(2) ain't gonna work for SER in thermal insulation. You only have one final ampacity. No portion is higher or lessor. The 60C does not just apply to the portion in the insulation.
This is what I was taught and at first I agreed with you but after reading this thread I have officially changed my mind to 310.15(A)(2) applies... Now the real question is what will the local ahj think since his onion is all that matters in the end.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
This is what I was taught and at first I agreed with you but after reading this thread I have officially changed my mind to 310.15(A)(2) applies... Now the real question is what will the local ahj think since his onion is all that matters in the end.

Most authority having jurisdiction's as well as ec will not even be aware of 310.15(A)(2) so you need to educate them

So if I understand this correctly, one could run SER attached to the underside of the roof framing where there is no insulation, (or have a means for the cable to be kept out of insulation, but maintain supports @ 4 1/2'), except where you run down the wall to the main or sub-panel, and be able to use the 75 degree rating?

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
So if I understand this correctly, one could run SER attached to the underside of the roof framing where there is no insulation, (or have a means for the cable to be kept out of insulation, but maintain supports @ 4 1/2'), except where you run down the wall to the main or sub-panel, and be able to use the 75 degree rating?

Always read about the product that you are using.

"60?C - When terminated to equipment for circuits rated 100 amperes or less or marked for 14 through 1 AWG conductors."

http://www.southwire.com/ProductCatalog/XTEInterfaceServlet?contentKey=prodcatsheetOEM46

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation

Basically yes unless other factor become involved

MasterTheNEC

Occupation
CEO
Always read about the product that you are using.

"60?C - When terminated to equipment for circuits rated 100 amperes or less or marked for 14 through 1 AWG conductors."

http://www.southwire.com/ProductCatalog/XTEInterfaceServlet?contentKey=prodcatsheetOEM46

Ok....from a manufacturers perspective always double check what you read. for example if the SouthWire ampacity table has 6-6-6 at the 90 degree rating as 60 A when it is 55 A. Again, remember that manufacturers post things we (they) want you to read....always do your own research.

For example....this one is correct and it's not SouthWire -http://www.encorewire.com/wp-content/uploads/EncoreWire_ALCAT_SER.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.