Forthcoming changes to NFPA 70E, 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshields

In an article in EC Magazine pertaining to changes in the soon to be out 2015 NFPA 70E, I came across the following change:

110.4 USE OF ELECTRICAL EQUIPMENT

110.4(C) Ground-Fault Interrupter (GFCI) Protection?
(2) Maintenance and Construction: This new section states, ?GFCI protection shall be provided for operating or using cord and plug connected tools related to maintenance and construction activity supplied by 125 volt, 15, 20, or 30 ampere circuits. Where employees operate or use equipment supplied by greater than 125 volt, 15, 20, or 30 ampere circuits either GFCI protection or an assured equipment grounding conductor program shall be implemented.??
The first part is pretty straight forward although, where does the NEC require 30A GFCI's. These will be hard to find it seems to me.

Be that as it may the next sentence makes no sense at all to me; i.e. for the larger equipment, either GFCI protection should be provided or "an assured equipment grounding conductor program shall be implemented". What is "an assured equipment grounding conductor program".

Bottom line, should we be advising our client facilities managers to install GFCI receptacles in strategic locations to meet this requirement?

By the way - the article in it's entirety is located here: http://www.ecmag.com/section/codes-standards/change-way-2015-nfpa-70e

Thanks,

Mike

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
In an article in EC Magazine pertaining to changes in the soon to be out 2015 NFPA 70E, I came across the following change:

(2) Maintenance and Construction: This new section states, ?GFCI protection shall be provided for operating or using cord and plug connected tools related to maintenance and construction activity supplied by 125 volt, 15, 20, or 30 ampere circuits. Where employees operate or use equipment supplied by greater than 125 volt, 15, 20, or 30 ampere circuits either GFCI protection or an assured equipment grounding conductor program shall be implemented.??
The first part is pretty straight forward although, where does the NEC require 30A GFCI's. These will be hard to find it seems to me.

Be that as it may the next sentence makes no sense at all to me; i.e. for the larger equipment, either GFCI protection should be provided or "an assured equipment grounding conductor program shall be implemented". What is "an assured equipment grounding conductor program".

Bottom line, should we be advising our client facilities managers to install GFCI receptacles in strategic locations to meet this requirement?

By the way - the article in it's entirety is located here: http://www.ecmag.com/section/codes-standards/change-way-2015-nfpa-70e

Thanks,

Mike
It is not as if 30A 120V circuits are all that common.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems

(2) Maintenance and Construction: This new section states, ?GFCI protection shall be provided for operating or using cord and plug connected tools related to maintenance and construction activity supplied by 125 volt, 15, 20, or 30 ampere circuits.

This section is in line with OSHA requirements for GFCI and portable cords and tools on construction sites. NFPA 70E is extending it to maintenance activities along with construction ones.

It really has nothing to do with changing premises wiring requirements per the NEC

Status
Not open for further replies.