#6 NM-cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I was wondering. Can you place a 60 amp breaker on #6 NM wire. using the next higher standard breaker size.
of course providing that there are no other derating , bundling or other issues.

Based on the 2011 NEC

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Also the calculated load must be 55 amps or less. I have seen many supplemental heat units where the load is 56 or 57 amps.. I hate it because it then requires a #4.:thumbsdown:

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Also the calculated load must be 55 amps or less. I have seen many supplemental heat units where the load is 56 or 57 amps.. I hate it because it then requires a #4.:thumbsdown:
There is seldom a month that goes by that at least one HVAC contractor here does not have to change out his #6 NM to a #4. It seems a majority of the air handlers with 10kw heat now exceed 55 MCA.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
There is seldom a month that goes by that at least one HVAC contractor here does not have to change out his #6 NM to a #4. It seems a majority of the air handlers with 10kw heat now exceed 55 MCA.
I don't know why the manufacturers did that. It is a PITA. All they have to do is lower the heat strip a tad. I think what happened was they increased the fans on the units-- that's my guess.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Yeah, manufacturers should design their products around electricians expectations.

:lol::lol::lol:

Sarcasm I know but yeah to some degree it would be good if they looked at the install process and the cost. It could make a contractor look for another brand that would work with the existing cable-- which means they can lose a sale.

In the past a 10 kw unit was always able to utilize a 6/2 nm cable. Then they throw a bit more power to it and makes it non compliant by a few amps. Certainly they could make this work without causing more expense to the home owner. Not sure why they upsized it.

iwire

Staff member
It's a conspiracy I tell you. Between these heat manufactures and those hot tub makers that require large EGCs. What's an experienced electrician expected to do?

Read the directions? :D

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
It's a conspiracy I tell you. Between these heat manufactures and those hot tub makers that require large EGCs. What's an experienced electrician expected to do?

Read the directions? :D

I agree. It is a conspiracy to make me rich with all this extra work. I hate it.

PetrosA

Yeah, manufacturers should design their products around electricians expectations.

:lol::lol::lol:

I don't think it's an unreasonable expectation. If you know that 99.7% of the camels people use can carry 10,000 pieces of straw, you don't design a camel cargo carrier that fits 10,001 pieces of straw, forcing people to buy bigger camels. It's just plain stupid industrial design. I expect there'd be a similar reaction if they started selling clothes dryers that needed a 40A circuit as well.

iwire

Staff member
I don't think it's an unreasonable expectation. If you know that 99.7% of the camels people use can carry 10,000 pieces of straw, you don't design a camel cargo carrier that fits 10,001 pieces of straw, forcing people to buy bigger camels. It's just plain stupid industrial design. I expect there'd be a similar reaction if they started selling clothes dryers that needed a 40A circuit as well.

Well I think this is clearly a case of electricians feeling they are the center of the universe. :D

Designer : We can make out product better for the user. It will have higher energy efficiency.

Boss: But how will that effect electricians?

Designer: Well there will be a bit of added cost and the electrician will need to pay attention. But the cost savings over the life of the unit will be significant.

Boss : No, forget it. We don't want to force electricians to think.

:D

PetrosA

Well I think this is clearly a case of electricians feeling they are the center of the universe. :D

Designer : We can make out product better for the user. It will have higher energy efficiency.

Boss: But how will that effect electricians?

Designer: Well there will be a bit of added cost and the electrician will need to pay attention. But the cost savings over the life of the unit will be significant.

Boss : No, forget it. We don't want to force electricians to think.

:D

If you can show me one product that heats anything using an electric element and which exhibits higher efficiency when you make it bigger by a few hundred watts, I'll buy you a beer.

Hint: There is not ONE electric dryer that uses hot air with an Energy Star rating.

Status
Not open for further replies.