rating of receptacle/cord cap for kiln

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to install a circuit for a kiln, with a load of 48 amps. I believe the circuit would need to be rated for 125% (60amps) since it will run for more then three hours.

My question is: is it permissible to install it on a NEMA 6 50R & P as the manufacturer claims? I'm having a difficult time finding clear direction in the 2011 code.

Thanks

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
210.21 B 1 seems to say no - a single receptacle on a 60 amp branch circuit would have to have a rating not less than 60 amps.

Do you have a cut sheet for the Kiln? Are you sure its a 48 amp load, and not a 48 amp minimum circuit ampacity?

210.21 B 1 seems to say no - a single receptacle on a 60 amp branch circuit would have to have a rating not less than 60 amps.

Do you have a cut sheet for the Kiln? Are you sure its a 48 amp load, and not a 48 amp minimum circuit ampacity?

That's the exact reference I used with the manufacturer (they've not responded as yet).

And yes, the load is 11,520 Watts/48 amps. They ship it with an L6-50 cord, but state it is code compliant (yet they specify #6 wire on a 60amp breaker)

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

the CB could be changed to a 50A CB though if that is the only issue.

however, I do not get why they think it can be installed on a 60A circuit.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I need to install a circuit for a kiln, with a load of 48 amps. I believe the circuit would need to be rated for 125% (60amps) since it will run for more then three hours.My question is: is it permissible to install it on a NEMA 6 50R & P as the manufacturer claims? I'm having a difficult time finding clear direction in the 2011 code.Thanks
The kiln will be on for more than three hours, yes but will it be drawing full amps for three solid hours?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
The kiln will be on for more than three hours, yes but will it be drawing full amps for three solid hours?
Often, yes. In the initial stages the temperature is smoothly rising toward the desired end temperature with the heating element on continuously.
When you get to set point the element turns off and stays off as the kiln slowly cools.
There is no need to hold a constant temperature for a long time.

edlee

I need to install a circuit for a kiln, with a load of 48 amps. I believe the circuit would need to be rated for 125% (60amps) since it will run for more then three hours.

My question is: is it permissible to install it on a NEMA 6 50R & P as the manufacturer claims? I'm having a difficult time finding clear direction in the 2011 code.

Thanks

I would do it. If the manufacturer's product is UL listed and approved and that is the spec they provide, then you're good to go. I would argue with an inspector who disagreed.

Status
Not open for further replies.