Nema 1 j box converted to Nema 3R

Status
Not open for further replies.

69gp

I am not an inspector but I do 3rd party inspections on electrical systems. About 2 months ago I had concerns about a 36"x 48"x 12" nema 1 junction box ( no ko's) used for splicing some medium voltage cables outside on blocks with grass under it. The cover was just set screw so there was plenty of water getting into the box causing rust to start forming. All I do is write up what I see and pass it along to the customer. Word got back to me that they were going to change the box to a Nema 3R.

Was back at the site today to verify if the work was done and found that they made a cover for the box with a 1" lip and welded corners. The cover was made a little small and you need to use a hammer to remove it. The inside of the box only had some paint installed on maybe 3/4 of the box. Rust was still visible. When I asked why they did not replace the box the S@#$ kinda hit the fan with it being a money and that the box manufacture said that it was OK to just treat the rust and install a non factory cover on the box. (my take is that the factory never was contacted and the contractor is trying to get out on the cheap).

So my question is can a nema 1 box leallgly be converted into a nema 3r box?

thanks
IMG_20141202_080358796.jpg

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
I haven't modified a junction box, but when we need to add lugs to switchgear we are required to get a letter from the manufacturer stating it is okay to do the modifications described. We have to present this letter at inspection.

I would treat this box the same way as well. I would also want a manufacturers note stating it maintains it's 3R rating when it's mounted horizontally on it's back.

I can see why they don't want to replace the box though. Pulling the wire out, replacing the box and pulling it back in definitely doesn't sound like fun. Plus the downtime involved...

69gp

Why does it need to be 3R?

the current box has only been installed for about 6 months. It is a nema 1. Look at the picture and you can see rust already forming on the inside of the box. A nema 3r would have been treated with what I presume to be a better quality paint to stand up to the environment and the proper cover would not have allowed water to get into the box in the first place.

Nom Deplume

I am not an inspector but I do 3rd party inspections on electrical systems. About 2 months ago I had concerns about a 36"x 48"x 12" nema 1 junction box ( no ko's) used for splicing some medium voltage cables outside on blocks with grass under it. The cover was just set screw so there was plenty of water getting into the box causing rust to start forming. All I do is write up what I see and pass it along to the customer. Word got back to me that they were going to change the box to a Nema 3R.

Was back at the site today to verify if the work was done and found that they made a cover for the box with a 1" lip and welded corners. The cover was made a little small and you need to use a hammer to remove it. The inside of the box only had some paint installed on maybe 3/4 of the box. Rust was still visible. When I asked why they did not replace the box the S@#$ kinda hit the fan with it being a money and that the box manufacture said that it was OK to just treat the rust and install a non factory cover on the box. (my take is that the factory never was contacted and the contractor is trying to get out on the cheap).

So my question is can a nema 1 box leallgly be converted into a nema 3r box?

thanks
IMG_20141202_080358796.jpg

There is no requirement for boxes being listed, and as long as they comply with 314.70 they should be accepted.
314.72(E) only requires a suitable cover.

This installation complys with the NEC even though it isn't a first class job.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
the current box has only been installed for about 6 months. It is a nema 1. Look at the picture and you can see rust already forming on the inside of the box. A nema 3r would have been treated with what I presume to be a better quality paint to stand up to the environment and the proper cover would not have allowed water to get into the box in the first place.

Maybe. But what makes you think a type 3r box is required? It might arguably be "better", but that does not mean it is required. In any case any enclosure outside will eventually rust.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
A few observations:

• The photo indicates an outdoor application which is, by definition, a wet location. [Article 100: Location, Wet]
  • Section 314.15 requires "Boxes, conduit bodies, and fittings installed in wet locations shall be listed for use in wet locations."
  • Section 314.70 cross references back to Section 314.15 as a requirement.
  • Table 100.28 [2011 NEC and later] or Table 110.20 [2008 NEC and earlier] describes various enclosure applications.
  • Type 1 is not suitable for either outdoor use or a wet location.

It would appear that it was an attempt to modify the installation without removing the conductors. Occasionally, some Type 1 enclosures can be modified to outdoor/wet location enclosures with appropriate manufactures' kits.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
It used to be that some mfrs had a "dual listing" capability for type 12 that could be modified to type 3R with that addition of a "drip shield kit" over the top lip of a vertically oriented enclosure, but that concept went away years ago because when UL took over the listing of enclosure types, they were more insistent on things like paint and pre- treating of the metal to survive the continuous salt spray test required for outdoor ratings. So later, we began to see dual rated Type 4/12 enclosures, because Type 4 mean sealed against water intrusion AND outdoor use. But there cannot be a way to modify a Type 1 box that was never listed for outdoor use to one that is, even if you add paint. There is no field modification procedure that UL would accept as a way to change the intended use. You are right to question it. They screwed up, they need to fix it right. In my opinion.

Last edited:

MasterTheNEC

CEO and President of Electrical Code Academy, Inc.
Occupation
CEO
Ok I am sure that this is a case where Mr. Holland (the new NEMA Field Rep) would like to make a comment, but I will instead.

Firstly, no one other than the manufacturer of the cabinet or enclosure can re-classify the cabinet or enclosure as something other than what it has been evaluated for unless the product is designed to meet multiple classifications of type ratings. If the enclosure is a NEMA 1 compliant enclosure or cabinet it is nearly 100% likely it can't be re-classified as a Type 3R cabinet or enclosure unless this is expressed in the product label or specifications.

Secondly, the above is purely for the question of turning a NEMA 1 into a NEMA 3R. As you know not all boxes have to be listed. However, it is important to note that listing does come into play for junction boxes, if that is now what the cabinet or enclosure is being used as, which I believe it is now...per 314.15 " Boxes, conduit bodies and fittings installed in wet locations shall be listed for use in wet locations", and enclosures or cabinets evaluated to Type NEMA 1 status are not evaluated for such conditions and an individual that welds the sides and constructs a new cover is not qualified to re-evaluate a products original evaluation of NEMA use Type.

Third, if the box is actually being qualified as a cabinet or enclosure then you can look at 312.2 as it states " Enclosures installed in wet locations shall be weatherproof". The only way to ensure that it indeed meets that statement is to be evaluated as such. In Table 110.28, you will notice (even in the informational notes) that no mention is made to the term "weatherproof". However, in Art 100 we have a definition for the term as " Constructed or protected so that exposure to the weather will not interfere with successful operation". The informational note under the definition "weatherproof" does give guidance but it's not enforceable.

The AHJ has to determine if a design is actually "weatherproof" in their opinion...enclosures and cabinets that have been evaluated to NEMA testing standards and awarded a classification type have been validated.

I agree that nothing in the NEC states a Cabinet(312) or Box (314) has to be listed unless it is for a specific application which calls for it to be listed. However, if the box in question is not considered a Cabinet and is being used as a junction box, pull box, etc. and it is in a wet location as an AHJ It would have to be listed as stated in 314.15 for a wet location and a NEMA Type 1 is not, welding it (while it probably will function fine, who knows as it has not official been evaluated for the use) is not changing the original Type evaluation.

Just my thoughts on it...Agree to Disagree as I am just giving you what I know from a manufacturers perspective. Mr. Holland may be able to elaborate more.

JDB3

}}nema 1 junction box ( no ko's) used for splicing some medium voltage cables outside on blocks with grass under it. {{

I would wonder if it is mounted/secured properly also. :?

Status
Not open for further replies.