Mud ring or box above Fireplace

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I have had this question for a long time.
We are always asked to install Flat panel TV's above the Fireplace hearth. Personally I don't like them there as they are too High. ( my preference. )

Anyhow , What type of wiring method is compliant in the Fireplace chase. Many years ago I was told NM must be sleeved. Is this true?

If this is a Multi family under 3 stories where NM is used is there any Difference.

Thanks

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
I don' think a sleeve is required. The space behind the fire place is an ordinary space with just the flue pipe going through the roof. I would make sure the NM cable does not tough the hot flue pipe. Even then most of the flues that I have seen are double walled.

But I do agree the TV above the fire place is too high for watching when in seated position.

kwired

Electron manager
too high? Not in my opinon - unless it is high ceiling and TV is really high. I seem to notice more obstacles in viewing path when TV is at lower height then when in a position such as above a fireplace.

Run all the NM cable you want in that fireplace chase, as long as it will not be subject to too high operating temp or chase is for some reason a space for handling environmental air. That environmental air space in these cases is within the fireplace insert itself, not the entire chase the insert is installed in.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
too high? Not in my opinon - unless it is high ceiling and TV is really high. I seem to notice more obstacles in viewing path when TV is at lower height then when in a position such as above a fireplace.

Run all the NM cable you want in that fireplace chase, as long as it will not be subject to too high operating temp or chase is for some reason a space for handling environmental air. That environmental air space in these cases is within the fireplace insert itself, not the entire chase the insert is installed in.

I have seen fireplace chase fully drywalled and firetape, conduits sleeved . Never know why.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
[h=2]Mud ring or box above Fireplace[/h]
You're thread title is misleading!
Thought you were asking about using a mud ring on a box above a fireplace.:happyyes:

I think a lot of it depends on what kind of fireplace.

Natural gas? Wood burning w/ stone/brick chimney? Triple wall metal vent?

Most vents have required clearances to combustibles so I imagine that will come into play

kwired

Electron manager
I think a lot of it depends on what kind of fireplace.

Natural gas? Wood burning w/ stone/brick chimney? Triple wall metal vent?

Most vents have required clearances to combustibles so I imagine that will come into play
And if you run your NM cable too close to the vent there is greater chance of correction notice from fuel/gas code inspector more so then from electrical inspector. But a good EI may still say the cable is possibly subject to temperature beyond it's design rating. But that doesn't mean the entire fireplace chase is subject to the same ambient temp - just a certain distance from some vent types.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Mud ring or box above Fireplace

You're thread title is misleading!
Thought you were asking about using a mud ring on a box above a fireplace.:happyyes:

Not really, The thread went in another direction.

I was wondering about Mud ring for the Lo Vo stuff and sleeve for the NM.
I had always thought the chase was fire rated and could not have mud ring opening that it needed a box. Secondly that the cables needed to be sleeved.

The reason for my question is I have run across a lot of installs in single family and Mutli family with a 2 gang mud ring ( no box or sleeve) for the Lo Vo and a cut-in box for the 120v. I was taught this method was not allowed years ago and maybe I have been misled.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician

I had always thought the chase was fire rated and could not have mud ring opening that it needed a box. Secondly that the cables needed to be sleeved.

The reason for my question is I have run across a lot of installs in single family and Mutli family with a 2 gang mud ring ( no box or sleeve) for the Lo Vo and a cut-in box for the 120v. I was taught this method was not allowed years ago and maybe I have been misled.

I've used this box a few times with no problem. It has a side for the 120V duplex and a separated side for low voltage. Usually there is quite a bit of room between drywall/framing and the flu that is encased in cinder block. If there was a problem with heat I would think the framing & drywall would be subject to damage.

41ureH50C1L._SX425_.jpg

kwired

Electron manager

If the chase is fire rated/required to be fire rated then I guess you need to pay careful attention to what is used. But I have not seen any that I can recall that would actually be completely compliant with fire ratings, outside of maybe masonry enclosed units, but those are kind of a thing of the past, probably been over 20 years since I last seen a newly constructed all masonry fireplace.

Status
Not open for further replies.