General Swtich

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

I'm looking for a replacement 200a main for my General Switch panel. I have two of these panels in my house and one of the mains is weak. I've attached a pic of the label, but I don't understand the suitable replacement list. Any help is much appreciated!

Attachments

• MB200-24 2.jpg
    MB200-24 2.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 0

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Well, since the second column of the replacement list says "BRANCH", I think that the label does not tell you anything about replacing the main breaker. Either you have to look to other sources or GS does not support replacing the main. :(

FREEBALL

Found this in a previous post

image.php
Jraef

user-online.png

Join DateJul 2006LocationSan Francisco, CA, USAPosts3,917

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by MissLiz
I thank you for the web site but it did not give me information I was looking for on the panel. I am not sure about the name General switchgear because the panel says general switch company and I have googled that everyway to sunday but I will call their # and see once angain thanks

The General Switch Company in New York was bought by Murray Electrical Products ages ago and existed for a while as a division making parallel products. Murray was later bought by another company, who was bought by others and others, until the "Murray" name became just a pseudo brand within Siemens some time in the late 70s or early 80s. But nothing remains of the original General Switch Company other than a superfund cleanup site outside of Great Neck NY. I think their products died out in the mid 1950's from what I heard when I worked for Siemens and people would come to us looking for replacement breakers.

Probably not what you wanted to hear, but maybe it's time to modernize eh? Most of that old stuff was never rated or even evaluated for short circuit withstand, so it may be that if you do any mods and look to get it inspected, you will end up having to tear it out anyway. They can't force you to remove grandfathered equipment, but they can disallow any modification or even repair to equipment that no longer meets current standards.​

Last edited by Jraef; 11-29-12 at 10:05 PM.​

Status
Not open for further replies.