Square D SC3040M200S

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbakelis

Hello All,

I'm thinking of using the Square D SC3040M200S load center for an overhead service. The lugs inside cannot be adjusted to the top but the panel is rated for overhead and underground service entrance. My question is, am I allowed to bend my 2/0 wire in a u shape in order to accommodate the lugs on bottom. I've heard some horror stories of inspectors failing this box even though it's UL listed. What is the minimum bending radius that is allowed on 2/0 copper? I'm in San Jose CA. Wondering if anyone has had experience with this?

Thanks

Ted

cadpoint

No greater than 8X's the overall dia. of non shielded conductor..., Article 300.34

Panel cut sheet help, see page 4 note conduit size at bottom of page called out to panel type

Schneider< a PDF

You might consider coming in the side of the main....

We (I) don't use these on the right coast to much. OK, I've never touched one....

tbakelis

So 2/0 copper is .414 inches times 8 is 3.3 inches. Does that mean that from the interior edge of wire to the interior edge should be no less than 3.3 inches. Doesn't seem like that would work coming in from top entrance to the left lug. Right lug would be fine. I'm not sure coming in side knock out is permissible. Any Californians have input? Thanks again

What are the inspectors failing them for?

Hello All,

I'm thinking of using the Square D SC3040M200S load center for an overhead service. The lugs inside cannot be adjusted to the top but the panel is rated for overhead and underground service entrance. My question is, am I allowed to bend my 2/0 wire in a u shape in order to accommodate the lugs on bottom. I've heard some horror stories of inspectors failing this box even though it's UL listed. What is the minimum bending radius that is allowed on 2/0 copper? I'm in San Jose CA. Wondering if anyone has had experience with this?

Thanks

Ted

tbakelis

I've never used this panel so I personally haven't failed. Just have an application that would work nice with this one but hesitant because of what I have "heard" through the so called grapevine.

cadpoint

Call the AHJ, don't work off rumors. Call the POCO, ask them!

FWIW your only at 195 amps with 90C @ 2/0.
When you add every other deduction your adjusted amps is 156A.

Here's some information from a Californian )a EE I assume( that charted some other wire reductions you might consider, they also displays MH Work covering some of the same topic's.

Free Commercial/Industrial Wiring and Raceway Chart

All to consider when you determine which wire to bend. Yes no closer than what the math equals.

Last edited:

Smart $

Esteemed Member
No greater than 8X's the overall dia. of non shielded conductor..., Article 300.34...
300.34 is for over 600/1000 volt wiring.

600/1000 volt wiring has no minimum bend radius minimum for single conductors, but there is a minimum required bending space at terminals [312.6(A)].

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
300.34 is for over 600/1000 volt wiring.

600/1000 volt wiring has no minimum bend radius minimum for single conductors, but there is a minimum required bending space at terminals [312.6(A)].

I agree the bending space is required not a bending radius. Over the years we've seen a few very tight "Mickey Mouse Ear" photo's on this forum.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I have installed hundreds of these panels in the SF Bay Area including San Jose and have never had anyone question the u-bend of the conductors into the bottom lugs.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
No greater than 8X's the overall dia. of non shielded conductor..., Article 300.34

Panel cut sheet help, see page 4 note conduit size at bottom of page called out to panel type

Schneider< a PDF

You might consider coming in the side of the main....

We (I) don't use these on the right coast to much. OK, I've never touched one....
300.34 is only for conductors over 600V.

I have not seen any code requirements on bending radius for < 600V conductors.

I have talked to several wire manufacturers about it and while they often have some practical suggestions, as best I can tell generally there are no listing requirements that limit bend radius.

I would point out that some kinds of conductor insulation can be fairly readily damaged by too tight of a bend, and obviously that would be a code issue.

tbakelis

I guess I just wanted ammo in case I run into an inspector that disagrees with the u bend into the bottom lugs. I'm pretty sure it will be less than 3.3 inches space onto the left lower lug.

meternerd

Occupation
retired water & electric utility electrician, meter/relay tech
From a CA POCO perspective. First, inspectors never seem to look at the utility side, so I find pretty much everything under the sun. Second, all the Code sections cited above. Third. Nothing says you have to have everything going down one side of the panel. On tight OH panels, I've seen the wires split above the socket, with left lower coming from the right top and vice versa. I personally have never questioned radius. Have you seen how the manufacturer bends 'em? Square corners. As far as LB's, etc. A no-no on the service riser (or UG conduits)...no fittings.

meternerd

Occupation
retired water & electric utility electrician, meter/relay tech
That is a POCO thing, yes?

Yes...we don't want any fittings because of the ability to open it and access unmetered conductors. Couplings are fine. When service wires pass through a box or gutter, they must have sealable covers.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
I have installed hundreds of these panels in the SF Bay Area including San Jose and have never had anyone question the u-bend of the conductors into the bottom lugs.

I agree with Curt, Never had an issue.

2/0 copper is just fine for a residential 200amp meter/main: 2011 (Which CA is on) 300.15B (7)

I can only think of one San Jose inspector that would flag it, and he's just a real pain on everything.

If you don't mind, send me a PM with his name so I can look out for him.

Also what did you do in that case? Change the panel to an "overhead only" panel or????

Status
Not open for further replies.