Multiple conductors on a breaker?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SunDogAz

In the December 14 issue of EC&M on page 32 under "stumped by the code" Mike is quoted as saying "some circuit breakers rated 30A or less can have two conductors under each lug". I can't count the number of times a home inspector has conditioned a report as violating code by having multiple taps on a breaker. What is the reference for this being acceptable?

kwired

Electron manager
In the December 14 issue of EC&M on page 32 under "stumped by the code" Mike is quoted as saying "some circuit breakers rated 30A or less can have two conductors under each lug". I can't count the number of times a home inspector has conditioned a report as violating code by having multiple taps on a breaker. What is the reference for this being acceptable?
One example is Square D's QO and Homeline series breakers. Both are designed and listed to accept one or two conductors for all sizes 30 amps or less for all models with pressure plate type terminals. (which I think is all they make these days for terminal choices) There are others out there that are similar design and likely are listed similarly.

Home inspectors that reject this specifically on the models mentioned are wrong.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

It depends on whether it is listed that way.

rlundsrud

You also can't mix the type/size of wire that is installed on that listed breaker. I assume it is because you would get uneven pressure on the two conductors if you mixed them.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
As mentioned ealier, if the OCPD is listed for two conductors then it is OK. You can always make a splice in the panel with a single pigtail to the breaker.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Most of the lugs for the equipment grounding conductor are rated for more than one conductor however the neutrals are not allowed to be installed with more than one conductor per screw terminal.

Cutler Hammer , for instance, allows 3 conductors if I am not mistaken. The panel and the breaker listing should tell how many conductors are allowed.

As mentioned ealier, if the OCPD is listed for two conductors then it is OK. You can always make a splice in the panel with a single pigtail to the breaker.

I've always been under the impression that splices are absolutely not allowed in the panel (except, of course, adding length to a single conductor in order to reach a given breaker)

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
This brings up a question.

Can required circuits (SABC's for example) be doubled up on the same breaker ?

I would think that required 20amp circuits would not be acceptable doubled up.
If you are asking if you can provide two 20A branch circuits to the kitchen and then connect both of them to the same 20A breaker, then definitely not. They would not be two branch circuits in that case.
I suspect that is not what you meant, but the words come out that way.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer

It depends on whether it is listed that way.

Not all of them are, so I think the AHJs hedge their bets by saying no, but if you can show them that it IS, then they should except it.

So for instance Sq. D is, as mentioned above, so is C-H, but ONLY the type CH breakers, not the BRs. No for GE, no for Siemens / Murray either. I suggest that if you have to do it, then make a copy of the data sheet / catalog page that shows that the breakers are UL listed for 2 wires per lug, and have it ready to show to the inspector. Or if you are not there for the inspection, tack it next to the panel and highlight that info.

You also can't mix the type/size of wire that is installed on that listed breaker. I assume it is because you would get uneven pressure on the two conductors if you mixed them.
On the Cutler Hammer CH breakers, they specifically say you can mix solid and stranded together, no mention of mixed sizes or restriction thereof though, it just says (2) #14-#10.

iwire

Staff member
What is the reference for this being acceptable?

Read all the fine print on the breaker itself, it will tell you what size and type of conductors are allowed under the terminal.

If the terminal is listed for more than one conductor it will state that on the breaker.

kwired

Electron manager
This brings up a question.

Can required circuits (SABC's for example) be doubled up on the same breaker ?

I would think that required 20amp circuits would not be acceptable doubled up.

If you are asking if you can provide two 20A branch circuits to the kitchen and then connect both of them to the same 20A breaker, then definitely not. They would not be two branch circuits in that case.
I suspect that is not what you meant, but the words come out that way.
You must have at least two SABC's per kitchen, so you could connect multiple "home runs" to at least two breakers per kitchen.

Status
Not open for further replies.