480 volt troffers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electric-Light

Does anyone know of who makes 480 volt LED troffers?

There are manufacturers who offer 480v troffers. Some are 347-480, some are straight 480. So, if you're close to Canadia, check to see if the 347v units have a 347-480v ballast. Now I answered the question in your title. There are T5HO and T8 bulb tube drivers, so you can ask the fixture sales rep if you can spec those out. It might take a few weeks and cost a somewhat more, but you should be able to.

Some examples:
https://assets.sylvania.com/assets/...UIDE.efd6d3bd-e5af-47ef-9f3a-f24516b30f06.pdf

https://assets.sylvania.com/assets/Documents/ECS424.913ef936-7534-4e1d-a1d0-4d61dcac29bc.pdf

PS:
I don't know about the LED qualifier you added in the post. :lol: Can you set up a meeting with the customer or his specifier and bring along a luxury red pen so you talk talk convince him to strike out the "L E D" from specifications?

Last edited:

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
What is the application? If it is a high bay application you can get LED high bay fixtures that come 480 volt.

Not all are Highbay, some go into a drop in ceiling. The fixtures are 2x2 HID and some to 2x4 fluorescents.

I can find plenty of high bays with a hook option, but nothing for a drop in troffer.

@Electric light: Thanks! I have seen those ballasts in high bays before. Unfortunately I cant talk anyone out of the LED requirements as the whole project is a lighting upgrade where all the old fixtures are going to LED.

Electric-Light

I don't know if they still make them, but GE has 480 to 277v step-down in a ballast shaped can. These were used before 480v ballasts were available.

Phase to ground voltage can not exceed 277v to use that transformer. Transformer is a transformer, not a magic. A tiny transformer of this size has a substantial loss. But why not? They want to spend their money on LED lighting down grade, more power to them.

They can not be used for corner ground or ungrounded 480v! Warranty will be void and it is a code violation as they're not listed for that.

Last edited:

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Thanks! It might be cheaper to re-wire then. I don't see LED is a down grade, at least in terms of life and energy savings. You don't agree with LED?

Electric-Light

Thanks! It might be cheaper to re-wire then. I don't see LED is a down grade, at least in terms of life and energy savings. You don't agree with LED?

LED products have inadequate warranty and they're usually worse than fluorescent ballast-lamp system warranty conditions. If you were to ask me the very generous 30% degradation allowance under L70 gives the LED industry a safety net to experiment in the field, so that they're not held liable for piece poor performance. Systems that include fluorescent ballast or induction fluorescent like warranty terms are very expensive.

Since they claim superiority over fluorescent, a matching factory warranty is required to support this claim and the most appropriate standard in my opinion is L85 to L90 and 100% "burn out" parts & labor coverage. Basically it would need to say that they'll pay for replacement or will arrange to send a licensed and properly insured service company at a time with minimal impact on business continuity...So, no they're not going to send someone during business hours or push the school to wait until summer break. They're going to send someone on a Sunday or night to fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.