Stripping Large Type TC Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterTheNEC

CEO and President of Electrical Code Academy, Inc.
Occupation
CEO
Hey Guys,

Have any of you installed large (500 and 750 kcmil Type TC Cable) tray cable and if so do you have any tips or advice on methods of stripping. Using a knife or the rip cord is not an option for these large cables as the compounds used to make up the jacket is different than used in the produces that are smaller than 500 kcmil.

If any one has worked with the larger Type TC Cable and have any advice on a product or method to strip the covering without potential damage to the inners please let me know...It would be much appreciated.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I have to assume you are talking multiconductor cable. Of all the times I've worked those sizes in cable tray, they've been single conductor cables... and a utility knife worked just fine for me.

I just Googled cable sheath cutter and it appears there are all kinds of gadgets for the purpose, but I can't make any recommendation....

MasterTheNEC

Occupation
CEO
I have to assume you are talking multiconductor cable. Of all the times I've worked those sizes in cable tray, they've been single conductor cables... and a utility knife worked just fine for me.

I just Googled cable sheath cutter and it appears there are all kinds of gadgets for the purpose, but I can't make any recommendation....

We make Type TC Tray Cable in sizes all the way up to 1000 kcmil and they are cabled and extruded with a thick hard casing on them....they are very robust in nature. It is easy to strip the versions smaller than 500 kcmil with a knife, hooked stripping tool, rip cord and the like. However, this large cable has a covering that is thick and hard, a depth cutter or router style cutter ends up damaging the conductors because the thickness tolerance (minimum average thickness is one thing but their is also a minimum "point" thickness as well that can be less than the minimum average) ends up damaging the conductors when used.

I have worked with the sizes up to 500 kcmil but never the larger 750 kcmil, their is no way a normal stripper can handle this material so I was hoping someone might have run into this before.

Opps...yes, we are talking about multi-conductor cable.

MasterTheNEC

Occupation
CEO
I've always found that term to be an oxymoron. :blink:
LOL...well in the wire and cable business that is used a lot when looking at various UL Standards. They tell you that the jacket thickness can't go below a specific average minimum and then they say...WAIT ! but at any point along the wire or cable the point thickness can be less than the minimum average value already expressed. Basically it allows for tolerances in the production.

All I know is I had never seen this "BEAST" type TC-ER until recently....it is massive and the covering is some serious material.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
LOL...well in the wire and cable business that is used a lot when looking at various UL Standards. They tell you that the jacket thickness can't go below a specific average minimum and then they say...WAIT ! but at any point along the wire or cable the point thickness can be less than the minimum average value already expressed. Basically it allows for tolerances in the production.

All I know is I had never seen this "BEAST" type TC-ER until recently....it is massive and the covering is some serious material.
As noted in my reply to GD, the order of terms makes a BIG difference.

MasterTheNEC

Occupation
CEO
As noted in my reply to GD, the order of terms makes a BIG difference.
Umm...my question was not really on the language....;)

However here is how the UL Standards refer to the statement: Minimum average thickness of insulation and Minimum thickness at any point of insulation, so while the minimum average thickness of the insulation would be 0.045 mils the Minimum thickness at any point of insulation can be 0.035 for example. We extrude for tolerance and always shoot to maintain the minimum average thickness along the extrusion but at any point of examination, for fluctuation and tolerance reasons that specific point of examination can be less than the average...or what we would call a hiccup in the extrusion.

Usually it is just made thicker all around to avoid the minimums.....BUT that was not my question and not sure how we got on that, if I did it I apologize:slaphead:.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
I have a cordless metal circular saw that works pretty well for slitting down the length of various things. I bet if I set the depth just right, I could rip a piece of TC cable.

MasterTheNEC

Occupation
CEO
I have a cordless metal circular saw that works pretty well for slitting down the length of various things. I bet if I set the depth just right, I could rip a piece of TC cable.

We have tried those and other type of devices. The problem is with large Type TC Cable, that is cabled in of itself, the tolerances of the thickness (think that is where I actually got on that subject came from- Thanks COW) the problem is those tolerances I have spoken about are WIDE in Type TC Cable of that size so the thickness is not uniformed and when you set the depth to one setting based on what you see at the end of the cable.....it is less at other points and ends up cutting the inner conductors insulation......

We have tried almost everything....but I very MUCH appreciate your input as we thought the same thing and it did not work consistently due to the allowable tolerance. And those tolerances have to be there because of the size and weight of the products during production. The extra hard material helps add to the product when the tolerances are of the point minimums but play HECK on the strippers or saws like you mention.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
We have tried those and other type of devices. The problem is with large Type TC Cable, that is cabled in of itself, the tolerances of the thickness (think that is where I actually got on that subject came from- Thanks COW) the problem is those tolerances I have spoken about are WIDE in Type TC Cable of that size so the thickness is not uniformed and when you set the depth to one setting based on what you see at the end of the cable.....it is less at other points and ends up cutting the inner conductors insulation......

We have tried almost everything....but I very MUCH appreciate your input as we thought the same thing and it did not work consistently due to the allowable tolerance. And those tolerances have to be there because of the size and weight of the products during production. The extra hard material helps add to the product when the tolerances are of the point minimums but play HECK on the strippers or saws like you mention.
Have you tried any of the cutters that have a shoe at the end of the blade. They pull outward on the ID of the sheath as it is being cut. Below's a picture of a most basic model...

904X174_PLI.jpg
(Not an endorsement)

There's also ones which use the same basic principle but enhance with a levered wheel that pulls the blade along the sheath.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Another principle that may or may not be practical is to insert a metal shim an inch or two into the cable, between the inner conductors and the sheath, and cut with a knife until you hit that shim. Step and repeat at you move down the cable.
I guess the standard assumption is that to strip off six inches of insulation from the cable the right (only?) method is to rip the cable as far as you want to go and then cut on the circumference at the base of the ripped section.

MasterTheNEC

Occupation
CEO
Have you tried any of the cutters that have a shoe at the end of the blade. They pull outward on the ID of the sheath as it is being cut. Below's a picture of a most basic model...

View attachment 11798
(Not an endorsement)

There's also ones which use the same basic principle but enhance with a levered wheel that pulls the blade along the sheath.

Yes, in fact that exact model and it is just tough to explain how hard this covering is and how hard it is to cut...but those did produce less damage to the inners....so it was suggested to the customers to try in the field.

MasterTheNEC

Occupation
CEO
Another principle that may or may not be practical is to insert a metal shim an inch or two into the cable, between the inner conductors and the sheath, and cut with a knife until you hit that shim. Step and repeat at you move down the cable.
I guess the standard assumption is that to strip off six inches of insulation from the cable the right (only?) method is to rip the cable as far as you want to go and then cut on the circumference at the base of the ripped section.

This covering is too tight and hard to push a shim. Also remember that it is cabled and not made of the same covering material as used traditionally on less than 500 kcmil Type TC Cables which the RIP CORD works fine on.

MasterTheNEC

Occupation
CEO
Best tool I have is the "can opener" type cutter. Here is a video link.... Well worth the money spent. Is this what you were looking for?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCikMUUZS4U
We also ordered one of those and tried it....just could not cut that material on the larger Type TC Cables....was fine on the size shown in the video but the larger Type TC-ER with 500-750 kcmil was a no go....actually damaged the cutter as the jacket was so thick.......BUT again thank you for the suggestions as it helps confirm that the methods we have been trying are what others would have tried versus the old school KNIFE HACK treatment.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Have you tried a Jonard TS-850?
41508.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.