Amish using PV's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doyle HC

The Amish in Mi are using a lot of solar panels these days to charge their batteries for all of the LED's they are using. Are they required to comply to the NEC on multiple battery charging and or solar panel arrays?

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
First of all, it makes no difference to the NEC if they're Amish or not. :angel: I mean, maybe someone won't enforce the NEC for political reasons, but we are not experts on that here.

If they are buying separate components and materials (panels, charges, wiring) and integrating them themselves, and it is an installation not a temporary setup, then the NEC applies. I'm assuming Michigan has legally adopted some version of the NEC as most states do.

If the units they are buying are listed self contained products that require no field wiring, then the NEC doesn't apply. Or at any rate it doesn't really have anything to say about how they are installed except requiring instructions to be followed. Same if these are temporary setups that they carry with them or move around frequently.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
The Amish in Mi are using a lot of solar panels these days to charge their batteries for all of the LED's they are using. Are they required to comply to the NEC on multiple battery charging and or solar panel arrays?

Are these true Amish or Mennonites? I doubt hard core Amish are using PV panels, batteries, and LED lights.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Are these true Amish or Mennonites? I doubt hard core Amish are using PV panels, batteries, and LED lights.

In my experience most Amish do not shun electricity, they are against being connected to the grid.
They do not want to have to rely on an outside entity for anything.

PetrosA

Yep, they are true Amish. Most here in the Lancaster area have moved to fully LED lit buggy lights (which has REALLY improved visibility) and many Amish stores are using corn cob LEDs designed for use with DeWalt 18V batteries which hang upside down from the ceiling. It's cheaper to recharge batteries with solar panels than to run the propane lamps. Most still use propane lamps inside their homes, but LED flashlights for almost everything else.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Not the ones I met.

I got to work on a Amish built cabin last year.....Sawzalls, Skilsaws, table saws, jigsaws, drills, extensions cords..... everywhere!!!

The only tools they had that were not electric were their gas powered chain saws.....except for their nail guns, those were pneumatic, but the compressor they brought with them was electric....everything came out of a pick-up truck (driven by a hired driver...I want his job, it includes meals).... not a mule or a horse or a waggon to be found.....

They did have long beards and no moustaches....all of them were men........I'm pretty sure......

all of their clothes were baggy.......at least one of them had a shirt that seemed to fill out a little more than the others.......

None of them had a cell phone.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Amish or not, no codes are enforced in any agricultural plot or structure in Michigan. Article 547 is not enforced anywhere in Michigan.

When asked about this, our code upgrade instructor replied, "The Amish must have a very strong lobby in Michigan."

Status
Not open for further replies.