EGC with parallel feeders

Status
Not open for further replies.

wirebender

Is there any exception to having to run a full size EGC in each parallel raceways?
What we have is 5 parallel PVC raceways (600kcmil AL)that are only 11 inches long from an 1600A enclosed circuit breaker to the MDP.
Seems a waste to install 5 350kcmil AL in this situation.

wirebender

Steel instead of PVC is not an option?

Probably could have but it's already done. They just called me asking about the EGC, I'm on a different project far far away.

Can you do a trough rather than individual raceway per set? Then only one common raceway with one EGC.

That might have been an option at the start of the project. It's tilt wall.
Too late for that now.

darekelec

I remember from one of the threads that a gfpe breaker with value set for your 'undersized' gec would be code compliant.
fix would be too expensive but in theory right.
Can anybody comment on my approach?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I remember from one of the threads that a gfpe breaker with value set for your 'undersized' gec would be code compliant.
fix would be too expensive but in theory right.
Can anybody comment on my approach?
That was in the code at one time but it required a GFP that was listed for the purpose of protecting the EGC. No GFP was ever so listed.
That was last in the code for the 2005 edition.

electricalist

Is the cost of the wire the factor to overcome or if it will fit in the pvc ?
Are the egc that are there now undersized?
If the pvc is sized to fit the feeders with the egc, then its probably cheaper to put what goes there and move on. If it wont fit then can the egc be ran outside of the pvc?

wirebender

Is the cost of the wire the factor to overcome or if it will fit in the pvc ?
Are the egc that are there now undersized?
If the pvc is sized to fit the feeders with the egc, then its probably cheaper to put what goes there and move on. If it wont fit then can the egc be ran outside of the pvc?

There's plenty of room, it just seems such a waste, when a single wire would bond just fine.

Just thought there might be an exception I was missing about having to run the EGC with the power conductors if it was just an 11" raceway.

wirebender

Can you do a trough rather than individual raceway per set? Then only one common raceway with one EGC.

This is an idea I could use on the project I'm on.

I have an outdoor 2000A 480/277Y enclosed circuit breaker for my service entrance.

This feeds a main distribution panel on the inside.

This is a metal building so I could do a trough thru the wall.

But where would you get such a trough?

Would it have to listed, or could i have one made?

electricalist

Im with you sir. I looked and read and looked and i want to believe that if each raceway has a egc the equals a full size egc then it should be fine. Then i wanna say but if i put a wire egc and these are service entrance conductors then im creating more parallel paths by all the grounds..last but not least if its done on xfmrs. Where the ground is on the outside of the flex why couldnt you bond enclosure to enclosure outside of the pvc.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
This is an idea I could use on the project I'm on.

I have an outdoor 2000A 480/277Y enclosed circuit breaker for my service entrance.

This feeds a main distribution panel on the inside.

This is a metal building so I could do a trough thru the wall.

But where would you get such a trough?

Would it have to listed, or could i have one made?
Unless the you enclosed breaker is smack up against the outer wall and essentially the backside made weatherproof, you're looking at listed wireway [376.10(3)]. If you use nonmetallic wireway [378], it is required to be listed regardless of location.

Your local supply house may stock some sizes and fittings. Otherwise you have to order it, but there shouldn't be much lead time involved normally.

wirebender

Unless the you enclosed breaker is smack up against the outer wall and essentially the backside made weatherproof, you're looking at listed wireway [376.10(3)]. If you use nonmetallic wireway [378], it is required to be listed regardless of location.

Your local supply house may stock some sizes and fittings. Otherwise you have to order it, but there shouldn't be much lead time involved normally.

It's actually under roof for covered parking but only about 6 feet from the open side.
I'll check into that, thanks, everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.