Lutron vs Leviton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg1707

Occupation
Business owner Electrical contractor
I had a home owner customer today complain that I was installing Lutron dimmer switches instead of Leviton.

The customer said Leviton dimmers are better quality. I have no opinion on this matter. Does anyone care to comment on the quality of the products?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Lutron is the leader in the industry for dimmers. I have no idea if Leviton is built better but I highly doubt it.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
I had a home owner customer today complain that I was installing Lutron dimmer switches instead of Leviton.

The customer said Leviton dimmers are better quality. I have no opinion on this matter. Does anyone care to comment on the quality of the products?

if you look at the commercial lighting dimmers and title 24 systems, you have leviton grafic eye, and
lutron nLight.

the eye sucks alongside the nLight. just my observation.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
if you look at the commercial lighting dimmers and title 24 systems, you have leviton grafic eye, and
lutron nLight.

the eye sucks alongside the nLight. just my observation.

Huh? Grafik Eye is a Lutron product not Leviton. nLight is not Leviton or Lutron

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Huh? Grafik Eye is a Lutron product not Leviton. nLight is not Leviton or Lutron

I saw that and thought perhaps Leviton had a comparable graphic eye system not Grafik Eye... Guess they don't

The grafix eye is a very good system but I never heard of nlight. Seems to be its own product

darekelec

Lutron is the best!
One of few companies which didn't lay off employees during last recession.
Their tech support is the best next to Apple. Products are just great. They are experts in dimmers and light control systems.
I find Lutron to be great manufacturer of simple devices - receptacles and switches and cat5 jacks and other LV stuff.
nLight was fun to install.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Stay with the manufacturer that you can guarantee your installation. If you install what the customer wants and you are not a regular user of that product, can you guarantee it??? Then don't put it in.

Personally, I stay with Lutron for dimmers and Legrand for receptacles and switches. Then I can guarantee my work and installed product for years to come.

Electric-Light

if specs or verbal agreement call for a certain brand, you don't change on them w/o approval. its not a matter of what you think is better.

Just like using some expensive decorative solid state type lighting devices specified in shall be items no matter how stupid you think it is. It's not your place to argue it.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Lutron dimmers for LED are not as universal compared to Leviton. One Leviton product covers more dimmable LED's than Lutron.

Electric-Light

Lutron dimmers for LED are not as universal compared to Leviton. One Leviton product covers more dimmable LED's than Lutron.

I've had a better luck with Lutron C-L dimmers than Leviton equivalent.
The C-L dimmers are specifically designed to avoid instability with LEDs and CFLs.

Flickering and pulsing are common problems when you dim light emitting decorations with ordinary dimmers, but marketing is generally unwilling to require proprietary dimmer.

curt swartz

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Lutron is the best!
I find Lutron to be great manufacturer of simple devices - receptacles and switches and cat5 jacks and other LV stuff.

Except for Lutron does NOT manufacture any of those items. They just put their colored plastic faces on Hubble or Cooper devices.

I wish Lutron would start using Leviton or P&S devices. Hubble still can't figure out how to make a working TR receptacle. I have had complaints from every customer I have installed Lutron receptacles about them being difficult to use.

curt swartz

Occupation
Electrical Contractor

Is that from your actual experience or just the documentation you have read. From my experience Leviton does little if any testing for compatibly. Manufactures pay Lutron to test various driver and dimmer combination and provide a report of performance. I have yet to see any type of testing reports or be provided with any testing info from Leviton's support.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Is that from your actual experience or just the documentation you have read. From my experience Leviton does little if any testing for compatibly. Manufactures pay Lutron to test various driver and dimmer combination and provide a report of performance. I have yet to see any type of testing reports or be provided with any testing info from Leviton's support.

Actual experience,,,
I go and only specify Lutron and I have get annoying noise. Lutron says try a dimmer ELV with a neutral.
Customer says no way I'll spend that money. Goes to the local ACE hardware picks up a Leviton and it worked no problem. Leviton does claim better compatibility.
I don't know if they have a list. they may think they don't need one.

By the way I don't like the face of their dimmers, don't like slides, I like rockers like DIVA. Lutron makes things too complicated

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
Actual experience,,,
I go and only specify Lutron and I have get annoying noise. Lutron says try a dimmer ELV with a neutral.
Customer says no way I'll spend that money. Goes to the local ACE hardware picks up a Leviton and it worked no problem. Leviton does claim better compatibility.
I don't know if they have a list. they may think they don't need one.

By the way I don't like the face of their dimmers, don't like slides, I like rockers like DIVA. Lutron makes things too complicated

I'm having a problem with Lutron dimmer controlling 9 @ 9.5 watt LED cans, LED's are whatever Utilitech Lowe's had that day, customer says switch is making a hum (too high pitched for me to hear).

Is there a particular Leviton dimmer I should look for? The one I saw on Amazon was the wide paddle slide type with toggle below. Says it works on LED's but so did the Lutron.

Anna Banana

New User
Occupation
Electrician
Utilitech LED bulbs are garbage. They will make even the best dimmers buzz and will probably buzz themselves too. Philips, in my experience, are the least likely to cause a buzz.

Status
Not open for further replies.